Talk

Advanced search

What to bake first?

(22 Posts)

I have been without a working oven for a year and a half and finally I have a shiny new one!

I would like to celebrate by baking something wonderful this weekend, but I'm overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I was hoping that you lovely mumsnetters could help me narrow it down with some of your favourite suggestions.

It's a snazzy neff slide and hide circotherm one if that helps?

Feyenoord Thu 18-May-17 22:00:02

A victoria sandwich with fresh strawberries.

I did think a Victoria sponge would be the best test of the oven, so that could be a winning suggestion.
It doesn't feel that exciting though.
Maybe I'll have to make two cakes!

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Thu 18-May-17 22:04:23

Dan Lepard's ginger root cake. Yum. Congrats on the new oven!

sunnysouthend Thu 18-May-17 22:05:22

Really indulgent chocolate cake with lashings of icing. Mmm. Devils food cake with a simple melted chocolate and butter filling and frosting is my favourite. Add raspberries for utter bliss.

Also make some scones and/or muffins for breakfast!

Both great suggestions! Shop bought ginger cake is pretty terrible so I've had nothing to compare to that for far too long.
And chocolate is always a winner grin

AdaColeman Thu 18-May-17 22:08:12

Chocolate cake, add black cherries and lashings of cream!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Thu 18-May-17 22:12:42

Gin and tonic drizzle cake gin

Wigeon Thu 18-May-17 22:13:04

Cinnamon buns! Which will make your whole house smell amazing too.

Onthehighseas Thu 18-May-17 22:14:03

This is truly the loveliest cake I've ever eaten. It's one of those cakes that makes people think you are an amazing baker, but actually it's very easy.

Onthehighseas Thu 18-May-17 22:14:30

This is truly the loveliest cake I've ever eaten. It's one of those cakes that makes people think you are an amazing baker, but actually it's very easy.

These all sound epic!! Possibly I'm going to have to make one a weekend.
Have never tried cinnamon buns, but do have a dough proving mode now so may have to try those!

Onthehighseas Thu 18-May-17 22:14:56

Sorry for double post, network playing up this evening!

I will excuse the double post as long as I get a recipe! grin

Just realised it's the ottolenghi one - I've heard great things, thank you!

sunnysouthend Thu 18-May-17 22:17:52

Ooh, chocolate orange cake looks out of this world - so going to make that this weekend myself!!

Wigeon Thu 18-May-17 22:23:12

I use ink{http://www.8ites.com/2011/03/norwegien-cinnamon-bun/\www.8ites.com/2011/03/norwegien-cinnamon-bun]]/} cinnamon bun recipe. You might have to put foil on for the last bit of cooking to stop them burning on top if not yet cooked in the middle. If you have a breadmaker, you can do some of the dough stuff in there. They are very tasty!

Thanks Wigeon. I do have a bread maker, so this one is definitely happening. And the pictures are so helpful to see

Wigeon Thu 18-May-17 22:25:47

proper link to Nigella's buns!

littlemissneela Thu 18-May-17 22:37:30

I was going to suggest baking something you know comes out well, for me that would be a lemon drizzle. I then have a huge hankering for Nigellas Rococoa cake www.nigella.com/recipes/rococoa-cake so maybe that. I will have to make that almond and orange cake from the link above drools

JaneJeffer Thu 18-May-17 23:00:31

Nicola I thought at first it was Def Leppard cake! Pour some sugar on me grin

PonderLand Thu 18-May-17 23:05:34

A chocolate tart. Mmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now