Talk

Advanced search

Best dairy free options

(8 Posts)
TickledOnion Sun 14-May-17 19:21:38

I'm making a dairy free chocolate cake with buttercream or ganache to be covered in fondant. I guess any marg and soy milk will be ok in the cake as the chocolate flavour is so strong. But what about buttercream or ganache that will hold up under fondant? Marg is a bit soft for sturdy buttercream. What cream alternative can I use in ganache?

Imaginarymenagerie Sun 14-May-17 19:25:32

Oatly cream is quite good. Or rice cream. Does it need to be fully dairy free or just lactose free? I'm lactose intolerant and use the lactofree butter for buttercream, but that would be no good for a milk protein allergy sufferer.

FoofFighter Sun 14-May-17 19:27:27

no any marg will not be ok, most are not df. I use Stork (BLOCK only is DF) or Vitalite. which you can use for buttercream too. Or use Trex for that?
oatly or soya cream in ganache but never tried it and not sure if will work the same.

FoofFighter Sun 14-May-17 19:28:10

it won't matter if the buttercream is softer if only crumbing the cake as a base for fondant anyway

Member341379 Sun 14-May-17 19:28:51

Betty crocker ready made has no dairy i think

TickledOnion Sun 14-May-17 19:37:49

I meant any dairy-free marg. I like a decent layer of buttercream and sharp edges so a sturdy buttercream or ganache is better.

I think it might just be a lactose intolerance but I will check.

BlueGirl1982 Sun 14-May-17 19:57:56

If it's a lactose intolerance maybe goats milk and butter if this is tolerable, I'm dairy free for breastfeeding but this has been ok, I've made cakes and frosting with both and it has worked...maybe a slightly tangier taste to the frosting but there's always the option of more sugar/flavouring. Also alpro make a soya cream substitute...with some dairy free chocolate this may make you a decent ganache? (Not tried!)

Imaginarymenagerie Mon 15-May-17 18:01:58

If it is lactose free, rather than fully dairy free I use 1 part lactofree butter to two parts icing sugar. It's spreadable so is blended with a little oil but you can adjust icing sugar quantity to suit your needs - I use this for piping onto cupcakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now