Talk

Advanced search

Leaving bread to slow rise

(7 Posts)
PassiveAgressiveQueen Fri 05-May-17 14:18:57

Sometimes just to fit making bread in it would be easiest if i made it in the morning for dinner time.

Can you leave all bread somewhere room temperature to rise slowly? For example today is naan, the recipe says leave to rest for 15 mins, but i now have a 3 hour gap, so i can just put it on the side, or will it ruin?

If nobody answers i will let you know after dinner if it worked

Launderetta Fri 05-May-17 14:23:56

Put it in a cooler place than usual & it'll rise perfectly Well, just slowly. (Cooler = slower, but not in the fridge, it'll virtually stop)
I've had some lovely bread this way.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Fri 05-May-17 14:35:13

Thanks for the reassurance

MuffinMad Fri 05-May-17 15:57:11

I don't know about naan bread as I have never made it. I make a lot of sandwich bread and rolls though.

I don't think it really matters how long the first rise takes as long as it's been 'enough' time, that is, doubled in size. Some say that the longer you leave it the better it tastes. I'm not sure about that, I just think any homemade bread tastes better than shop bought anyway!

I have left bread for up to 6 hours or more on first rise, when I have had to. It didn't make any difference to the finished product.

It's the second rise that is more important. It can be left to go too far and deflate itself!

Don't know if any of this will help you but I hope it works out for you!

smile

PassiveAgressiveQueen Sun 07-May-17 10:10:22

I can add that the naan bread was perfect thanks to you both

Launderetta Mon 08-May-17 16:11:02

Excellent!
Thanks for letting us know.

cantfindname Fri 12-May-17 05:39:31

Bread is great the longer you can leave it to rise! Many people make the dough and either rise or prove in the fridge overnight. Take it out, let it come back to room temp and finish rising and it will be the best bread ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now