Talk

Advanced search

Nut free poppy seeds

(6 Posts)
olderthanyouthink Wed 19-Apr-17 15:24:49

I've recently found I have a nut allergy but I loves me some cake, so seeing as I can't buy them much anymore I'm going to bake more.

I wanted to make lemon and poppy seed muffins but when I was checking the packet of poppy seeds they say may contain nuts and I get the feeling they are processed in the same place as stuff I'm allergic to.

Is it possible to by poppy seeds that haven't been near nuts?

RedBugMug Wed 19-Apr-17 15:27:59

alnatura

organic
lists only sesame seeds as contaminant.

Ifailed Wed 19-Apr-17 15:28:45

Er, nuts are seeds?

I suppose the problem is that many of these sorts of products are processed in the same facility so one day, for example, they could be packing almonds, the next poppy seeds - they can't guarantee no cross-contamination.

SasBel Wed 19-Apr-17 15:35:28

How allergic? Can you tolerate traces of nuts? Is it tree nuts or peanuts (or both) that you have a reaction to?

olderthanyouthink Wed 19-Apr-17 15:52:43

As far as I've read, poppy seeds don't fall under the same category are hazelnut (which is what I reacted to). The cross contamination is the bit I'm concerned about.

According to the my GP I had a mild reaction didn't feel bloody mild but my lips, tongue & throat didn't swell up and my breathing was fine. Whole body hives, stomach ache, swollen eyes, headache, itchy mouth and ears etc.

I had a bit of a may contain nuts Easter egg the other day and got a bit of a headache so stopped. Not sure if trying it again to check it was that is a good idea.

I think peanuts are still fine.

itshappenedagain Wed 19-Apr-17 16:06:57

Try the free from section at places like Sainsbury's. I have a bad nut allergy ( all nuts) and find it easier to make lots of foods myself. Also try the allergy aware website, they can be helpful at locating foodstuffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now