Talk

Advanced search

What the hell happened to my rice krispie cakes?!

(20 Posts)
Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sun 16-Apr-17 14:22:30

Never has this happened before! Followed recipe for rice krispie/cornflake nests & when I added the golden syrup the mix all just seemed to curdle & separate & solidify - tried adding the krispies but didnt cover them & even reheating it made no odds. Where did I go wrong?!

Ginmakesitallok Sun 16-Apr-17 14:23:28

Chocolate too hot??

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 14:23:51

I've never put golden syrup in Krispie cakes, but that doesn't really answer your question...

Enelya Sun 16-Apr-17 14:24:01

Did you overheat the chocolate?

BossWitch Sun 16-Apr-17 14:24:16

Yep, that's burnt chocolate. Done it many a time!

Twoevils Sun 16-Apr-17 14:24:51

Cheap (palm oil infested) chocolate and overheated.

MissClarke86 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:26:03

What chocolate did you use? It's overcooked as everyone else has said.

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sun 16-Apr-17 14:46:55

Ok thankyou. Will keep in mind for next time. It was a mid price chocolate but was milk chocolate not plain if that makes a difference? Did it on a low heat but guess not low enough.

Have already redone it with cheap cooking chocolate (all I had left after wasting the rest) on same heat but didnt bother with the butter & syrup this time n it came out fine. Go figure?!

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 14:49:39

Normal milk chocolate doesn't melt well because it's got other stuff in it that doesn't cope well with heat.

It either needs to be cooking chocolate if you want milk or for dark chocolate pretty much any can be used for cooking.

Skyllo30 Sun 16-Apr-17 14:51:57

Did you heat the chocolate directly in the pan? Either use a bowl on top of water in a saucepan or in the microwave, stopping every 30 seconds or less.

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sun 16-Apr-17 15:15:28

Skylo - I used a bowl ontop of a pan.

Must be the milk choc combined with too high heat! It looks awful but tastes fine so we'll eat it anyway!

IvorHughJarrs Sun 16-Apr-17 15:17:23

My other used to say it has "seized", that's when it goes clumpy and grainy. Usually if it gets too hot

InMySpareTime Sun 16-Apr-17 15:19:49

I melt chocolate in a bowl over a teapot. Takes a bit longer, but then I get to drink the tea.

BeeMyBaby Sun 16-Apr-17 15:21:36

I find one bar of chocolate to two medium sized mars bars or supermarkets equivalent makes a lovely mix, and coats crispier well. Adding butter just makes them greasy.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 16-Apr-17 15:31:54

I usually use normal Cadbury chocolate but one time we had left over Aldi chocolate Santas & they did not melt well at all.

How did you melt the chocolate? It's supposed to be melted over a bowl of boiled water not a direct heat.

CPtart Sun 16-Apr-17 16:33:30

Ha. Are you my husband? He's just had exactly the same problem, even down to adding the butter and syrup.
Just taken one out the fridge and it tastes good though.

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 17:52:12

I really want Krispie cakes now but I don't have any rice krispies sad

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sun 16-Apr-17 18:57:28

No CPtart am not! But funny coincidence all the same!

Inmysparetime am a tea lover so liking the idea!

Beemybaby I like adding mars bars to the mix too - didnt today though but sure wish I did smile

PerspicaciaTick Sun 16-Apr-17 19:04:38

If you want to make krispy cakes with butter and syrup then you need to melt butter, syrup and cocoa powder (not chocolate). It makes a gorgeous, intense chocolate caramel for coating the krispies.

wrinkleseverywhere Sun 16-Apr-17 19:52:13

OP I am delighted to read your post as I did exactly this a fortnight ago & just looked at it in puzzlement thinking "WTF - how have I got krispie cakes wrong". In the end, I served it on ice cream & it was delicious I may have eaten quite a lot straight from the bowl too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now