Talk

Advanced search

Cake recipe for shape cake

(11 Posts)
celeryisnotasuperfood Wed 12-Apr-17 08:17:16

So my 2nd cake related question of the week relates to my second DD and her cake. I am going to attempt a shape cake that will need carving and am obsessed with watching you tube videos. While they are good for showing method they don't say much about the type of cake to bake in first place.
Am guessing that it needs to be quite dense and dry to make carving easier. But that doesn't make for a nice eating experience. My fave video has many thin layers sandwiched with buttercream which I guess is to overcome this.
Can anyone recommend a recipe and any hints/tips?
My plan will be to do a first basic carve practice as it's FIL birthday soon and will do him a basic chocolate hedgehog. If that works I will then attempt my DD's request!

DoItTooJulia Wed 12-Apr-17 08:20:14

Madeira recipes over Victoria sponge. (More flour) and best left to rest for a day before carving usually-wrapped tight in foil and then cling film.

Do they use a jam layer with the buttercream? Like a light warmed through apricot jam? Because it might help with stability.

You must come back and show us your results! Good luck!

inappropriateraspberry Wed 12-Apr-17 08:45:13

I second a Madeira cake. It's a bit heavier and denser, so should hold up to manhandling!! Children will still eat it as it's still basically sponge.

inappropriateraspberry Wed 12-Apr-17 08:46:58

I wouldn't do too much buttercream in layers as I presume you would also be coating it in buttercream once carved? It could be buttercream overkill and make it too sweet. What shape are you going to do?

ExpatTrailingSpouse Wed 12-Apr-17 08:51:47

I often do Martha Stewart's versatile vanilla cake. It's fairly solid but moist and rich (extra egg yolks).

Another tip I read somewhere is that if you want to carve, freeze the cake first. Make sure you cool the cake fully. Wrap in layers of cling film and wax paper, and freeze it. It doesn't lose its freshness if you don't wait too long. Then carve it once it's frozen. Forget if you can put buttercream right away or if you have to let the cake defrost but I'm sure it's on google somewhere.

tissuesosoft Wed 12-Apr-17 09:00:46

I use this one and it never fails and there is a link on there for adjusting the recipe for different sized tins.
shewhobakes.co.uk/classic-birthday-cake-recipe/

celeryisnotasuperfood Wed 12-Apr-17 09:44:00

Thanks - good tips about freezing.
Has anyone done that? Did you defrost fully before carving or start carving while it was still a bit frozen?
I like that page tissue...any idea how to make it chocolate madeira? I'm guessing add 2 or 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder would do the trick?

tissuesosoft Wed 12-Apr-17 10:18:31

The link is suggesting replacing the plain flour with cocoa powder and adding in melted chocolate. Sounds yum! Might try it myself next time

celeryisnotasuperfood Wed 12-Apr-17 11:25:44

That will teach me to not read it fully! Right hedgehog cake will be attempted after easter. All being well I will then be attempting to do a lightening mcqueen a few weeks later!

tissuesosoft Wed 12-Apr-17 12:31:48

For the icing I really recommend renshaw. I buy from here on eBay- m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renshaws-Icing-Ready-Roll-Out-250g-Colour-Fondant-Sugarpaste-for-Cake-Decorating-/190994556811?var=&hash=item2c7829a78b%3Am%3AmPohLemfWA9ncGoh9GDFrYA&_trkparms=pageci%253A7d7db601-1f73-11e7-8cf0-74dbd180a46a%257Cparentrq%253A61ee3b9215b0a5e2995cef0ffff852af%257Ciid%253A2

ExpatTrailingSpouse Thu 20-Apr-17 05:28:48

celery sorry - just saw this - have been busy making cakes this past week myself!

yes, you carve while still frozen - so your knife doesn't knock too many crumbs off and your lines are cleaner as it's all stuck together. i've made a couple of cakes that way. you can watch some youtube tutorials too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now