Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

No golden caster sugar, would normal caster be better than golden granulated?

(15 Posts)
MagnumAddict Sat 08-Apr-17 12:48:38

As title suggests, recipe calls for golden caster sugar for coffee and walnut loaf but I only have either ordinary caster sugar or I have granulated golden sugar.

Which one should I use? Or would I be better making a trip to shops to get the proper ingredient?! Toddler in tow so hoping to avoid that if I can....

kittybiscuits Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:06

Ordinary caster will be fine!

namechange20050 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:22

Use the caster sugar

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:42

In the absence of anyone else, I would use ordinary caster sugar.

Rubytuesday2980 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:52

Caster would be best as granulated will not be fine enough and the cake could end up gritty. Happy baking!

ElizaDontlittle Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:54

Ordinary caster sugar will be fine - actually neither will be disastrous. You can grind granulated in a blender if you feel really inspired!!

Optimist1 Sat 08-Apr-17 12:50:56

Agree with kitty. It's the texture rather than the colour that's more important to the end result.

BarbaraWoodlouse Sat 08-Apr-17 12:51:05

I would use normal caster sugar. Have substituted like this before with no problems. smile

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 08-Apr-17 12:51:15

Ha. There were other people here! Do it OP!

Svalberg Sat 08-Apr-17 12:52:28

Have you got a grinder? If so, whizz the granulated round in that for a very short time (not too long or you'll get golden icing sugar). Otherwise, I'd use the granulated.

Svalberg Sat 08-Apr-17 12:53:45

Sorry, I meant the caster!!!!!

MagnumAddict Sat 08-Apr-17 12:56:19

I was worried I wouldn't get a reply in here! So grateful, thank-you!

I'll use my normal caster sugar today.

Just got back in to baking after making a lovely simple banana loaf and now looking for other delicious things to bake in a 2lb loaf tin. Today's request comes from DH but I think I'll be back in this topic soon looking for more inspiration!

Thanks again

MagnumAddict Mon 10-Apr-17 16:41:36

Just as an update my coffee and walnut Cake was delicious despite using ordinary caster sugar.

Thanks again, I might not have bothered making it and would have missed out!

poisonedbypen Mon 10-Apr-17 16:49:14

Why would golden make any difference? It's just more expensive (I presume). It is, after all, just sugar!

MagnumAddict Mon 10-Apr-17 17:11:41

It has a different taste apparently and makes the end result a different colour so I thought it was safe to assume it may be necessary for certain recipes. I don't think it's any more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now