Talk

Advanced search

Rhubarb pudding

(27 Posts)
FunSpunge Mon 27-Mar-17 22:02:58

Does anyone have a good recipe for rhubarb sponge or rhubarb pudding?

We are soon going to have a glut of rhubarb and would like to make something new.

Made rhubarb and ginger crumble last week and it was lovely!

FunSpunge Wed 29-Mar-17 18:26:33

Bumping in the hope that someone has a hand-me-down recipe from generations ago that is amazing (or at least some good tips!) I don't want to waste my homegrown rhubarb grin

BrieAndChilli Wed 29-Mar-17 18:30:37

I don't have the recipe to hand. It I made a rhubarb and custard cake. It didn't last long! A google should bring you up a tecipe

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 29-Mar-17 18:30:59

not a hand-me down recipe but this Rhubarb and Custard Cake is delish, I have made it lots.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 29-Mar-17 18:31:46

hah, cross posted with Brie

DoubleNegativePanda Wed 29-Mar-17 18:32:36

God, I adore rhubarb. Nobody eats it here in Texas. They consider it red celery and simply refuse. But it's my favorite! I could eat rhubarb crumble every meal every day.

namechange20050 Wed 29-Mar-17 18:34:49

You can make rhubarb gin which is delish. It's just gin, rhubarb and sugar. Pop in Kilner jar and leave for about 10 days. Once all the colour has drained out of the rhubarb drain and bottle.

DoubleNegativePanda Wed 29-Mar-17 18:35:49

This rhubarb pie is one of my favorites.

Hs2Issue Wed 29-Mar-17 18:35:57

I like making rhubarb vodka or rhubarb and strawberry jam when we have loads of rhubarb though might have to try that cake now as well.

Polyanthus Wed 29-Mar-17 18:38:34

Things i do with rhubarb include
Upside down rhubarb cake - just a normal sponge mixture but arrange pieces of rhubarb at bottom of the tin (I use one of those grease proof paper liners). I cook the rhubarb lightly first. Then once it's cooked you invert it onto a plate - looks great.

Rhubarb crumble cake - loads of recipes online but basically put sponge mixture in tin, top with a good layer of rhubarb (again I lightly cook it first but I don't know that you need to), then top that with crumble topping.

I think rhubarb goes well with raspberry too,so I often put a handful of raspberries in a crumble or pie, as a change from ginger or orange .(the things which are usually recommended). This is also good in jam and improves the colour too

Am sure Nigella makes a rhubarb gin like damson gin but I haven't tried this.

Rhubarb fool - about 500g cooked rhubarb folded into 300ml of cream (whipped first) and a few spoons of Greek yogurt to lighten it a little. You can freeze this to make ice cream too.

Just finishing off the last of last year's rhubarb from the freezer!! What do you make??

KanyesVest Wed 29-Mar-17 18:41:59

Ha, I was going to post the rhubarb and custard cake too. It's so good. Came across this recipe today which looks tasty too.

Haffdonga Wed 29-Mar-17 18:42:34

Delia's rhubarb crumble icecream is worth buying an icecream maker for this recipe alone.
www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/rhubarb-crumble-ice-cream

FunSpunge Wed 29-Mar-17 18:46:55

shockshockshock did NOT expect all these replies! Wow!

Thank you so much!

So a few have mentioned rhubarb and Custard so going to have to try that!

I like the sound of the upside down one too, reminds me of the pineapple/Apple one from school dinners which was delish!

I don't know the poster who mentioned it but people in USA won't eat rhubarb?!?!? Crazy fools grin

FunSpunge Wed 29-Mar-17 18:48:49

@Haffdonga I have an ice cream maker somewhere !!!!!!!gringrin

witchmountain Wed 29-Mar-17 18:49:45

Nigella does a rhubarb cornmeal cake that's good: http://trufflebird.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/nigellas-rhubarb-cornmeal-cake.html?m=1

SunnySomer Wed 29-Mar-17 18:50:12

Google Waitrose rhurbarb and ginger sour cream cake. That's really nice, but you must use brown sugar, or the cake but lacks a bit of flavour.

Jenijena Wed 29-Mar-17 18:51:23

I made rhubarb clafoutis from an Ocado recipe the other week and it was very nice....

witchmountain Wed 29-Mar-17 18:51:46

Rhubarb fool is lovely too.

Potcallingkettle Wed 29-Mar-17 18:52:37

Rhubarb clafoutis - a sweetened batter baked with rhubarb.

FunSpunge Wed 29-Mar-17 18:55:52

@Polyanthus that rhubarb crumble cake sounds yum!

I love crumble and make it about an inch thick blush I cut diagonally into crumble so I get more topping

Blogwoman Wed 29-Mar-17 18:58:33

How do you placemark? I adore rhubarb so thanks for the thread OP! I'm enjoying browsing my late Nan's recipe book (wedding present in 1928?) so will look up rhubarb in that when I get home. Lots of recipes seem to involve offal though so I won't pass those on grin

Popskipiekin Wed 29-Mar-17 19:06:20

I can't find a recipe or any proof but I swear my mum used to chop up the younger/finer stalks of rhubarb, liberally cover with dark brown sugar and leave overnight. It was the first step of a recipe but just doing that actually seemed to melt/soften the rhubarb in some way - totally totally delicious just like that!

MsHippo Wed 29-Mar-17 19:07:24

These are delicious and slightly unusual. AND super easy to throw together! They are a lovely thing to take round to someones house or serve to visitors with a cup of tea.

blueskyinmarch Thu 30-Mar-17 07:17:57

These all sound lovely. My rhubarb is really starting to grow now so I might try out some of these recipes this weekend. Thanks!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 30-Mar-17 07:19:30

Amazing rhubarb orange and almond cake- think it's on goodfood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now