Talk

Advanced search

Hand kneading vs bread machine - do quantities change?

(3 Posts)
lovinbeingmum Tue 14-Mar-17 14:40:44

I honestly don't want to start a man versus machine debate. But just Picked up a wonderful book of bread recipes, got home all excited to try the first one out and they are all recipes for a bread maker sad...gutted....sad

I don't have a bread machine and don't want to get another gadget till I can convert the family to eating my breads.

So question - Do the ingredient quantities change? Can I bung everything in together, knead and allow to rise for 1-1.5 hours, knead again, put in tin, leave for an hour (or till double) and then bake. Is that a standard process or does it keep changing?

Yes, a novice here......:/

...the fougasse in the book looks so good :/

FunSpunge Tue 14-Mar-17 16:01:00

I can't think of any obvious reasons why the ingredient measurements would change.

I assume with the Fougasse the book tells you how hot oven has to be and how to shape etc and for breads which require "a real person" you would only be using the bread machine to mix and prove?

I'm no professional though, so maybe wait until someone with more experience replies smile

lovinbeingmum Wed 15-Mar-17 09:35:09

Thanks FunSpunge. Doesn't seem to be anyone around. Am taking the plunge and trying a fennel, bacon and gruyere bread.....let's see how that goes....fx smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now