Does anyone EVER CHECK the recipes in newspapers?

(3 Posts)
choccyp1g Sun 12-Mar-17 17:57:36

THe question probably sums it up, but I've just made "Never-Ending Gingerbread" from a Guardian "We Love to Eat" feature.

Half way through I realised it was very vague about how much bicarbonate of soda to use. I went for the smaller of the two possible amounts.
Otherwise I followed the quantities to the letter.
Its come out looking OK, but tasting more like scones than gingerbread.

choccyp1g Sun 12-Mar-17 18:03:24

I'm going to answer my own question.
Obviously no-one in the newspaper checks them, otherwise they would include a photo of the finished food, rather than the totally random cake, that bears no resemblance to what I have produced.

av3nturin3 Fri 14-Apr-17 22:03:02

Sorry about your Gingerbread. Do you want a cake-y style gingerbread? a single layer, meant to be cut up like brownies? I have a reliable American recipe.

The most successful cake I've made so far this year has been a Cardamom Orange cake recipe, reader-submitted, to The Guardian. I've made as written the first time, then doubled the quantity and sent to the school bake sale the second time around.

Maybe it's a matter of budget cuts at the newspaper. Only 3-4 of the major American newspapers have a dedicated test-kitchen where they properly test the recipes. The others simply pay to have the recipes re-printed with the source mentioned at the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now