Talk

Advanced search

Have I effed up?

(11 Posts)
FunSpunge Wed 22-Feb-17 13:53:48

Making a Victoria sponge and, like an idiot, I forgot to line the 2nd tin, only realised when I found the cut out paper on the side sad
I greased both tins well... how do I proceed once they're out of the oven - with minimal damage

wishparry Wed 22-Feb-17 13:56:26

Put a sharp knife around the tin.do you have one of those tins where the base pops out?

FunSpunge Wed 22-Feb-17 13:59:46

No, plain sandwich tin

Do I leave in the tin to cool properly before attempting to get it out?

FunSpunge Wed 22-Feb-17 14:14:14

They're out of the oven and have no idea which is the lined one and which isn't hmm

However I proceed now... it will need to apply to both. I hope it doesn't ruin then, they look good for once - typical! sad

FauxFox Wed 22-Feb-17 14:17:41

Try to get them out before they are completely cool - I find them less 'stuck' when warm...doesn't really matter if one breaks, just puzzle it back together and make that the bottom layer. If it's a real mess and needs to look good (birthday cake or whatever) you can always buttercream the lot once it's cake shaped - just do a thin 'crumb coat' first to avoid getting bits in the icing.

Good luck! cake

wishparry Wed 22-Feb-17 14:23:44

Yes i agree to get them out warm.
if they are two halves of the same cake,then use the two sides that were on the bottom of the tin as the middle of the cake,plenty of filling in the middle and I get you'll heardly notice.

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Feb-17 14:26:20

I never line cake tins! I reckon you'll get it out. Run a knife around the edge and hope for the best.

FunSpunge Wed 22-Feb-17 14:32:48

Turns out I was worrying about nothing, they came out without any problem!

Thank you so much for your replies

just hope they taste as nice as they look grincake

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Feb-17 14:34:34

They look great!

Where does lining tins come from? Probably the days before non-stick tins I suppose.

FunSpunge Wed 22-Feb-17 14:40:37

While they were cooking I was telling myself "gran never used to line her tins, it'll be fine" grin

I find cutting out the paper a PITA. Now I know it wasn't an issue making a sponge without, I'll prob just grease and flour well in future and save myself the hassle smile

tb Tue 07-Mar-17 16:34:49

Cutting the paper is a faff - I buy circles in 6" 7" 8" and 9" from Lakeland.

They last for ages.

The really expensive route would be bake-o-glide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now