Talk

Advanced search

How to make a coffee cake with "real" coffee, not instant?

(6 Posts)
Crunchyside Wed 22-Feb-17 10:50:30

I'm craving coffee cake but we only have real ground coffee, not instant. I've got all the other ingredients I need but most recipes seem to call for instant coffee and that's always what I've used in the past.

I have an espresso machine, could I make an espresso and put that in the cake?!

Not sure what to do... but I REALLY fancy coffee cake today! Can't get to shop. Hoping some kind MN bakers can assist smile

Hoppinggreen Wed 22-Feb-17 10:56:26

I usually use espresso to make coffee cake or coffee icing.
Just be careful with the amount as it can be stronger

curvyfrog Wed 22-Feb-17 10:59:18

I'm sure a really strong double shot of espresso would work. Also make icing with same strong coffee. You might not get the same intensity that you get from espresso powder in a cake, but it should taste good.
Your cake mix will be a bit wetter than normal. I'd compensate with a little extra butter, sugar and SR flour.
I use Nestle espresso powder as it's the strongest instant coffee I've found and can be sifted into the flour.
Your post is making me want to bake cappuccino cupcakes now....

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Feb-17 11:01:07

Yep, a strong espresso should do the trick.

I want coffee cake now!

Crunchyside Wed 22-Feb-17 11:21:19

Yum, thanks! Just discovered I have no icing sugar after all sad So I'll have to put my cake craving on hold and wait til this afternoon when I can pop out to the shop! I think I'll still try the espresso method though as we don't really use instant coffee in this house and if I buy a jar it'll just go stale/mouldy!

FormerlyFrikadela01 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:32:50

I've made it using espresso from my tassimo and it's been lovely. I think my recipe is either nigella or Jamie Oliver (I've had written it out so can't be certain) bit the recipe calls for instant coffee to be dissolved in water so using espresso instead doesn't change the texture of the cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now