Talk

Advanced search

Spreading cookies

(14 Posts)
LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 15:19:55

I just made some chocolate chip cookies - but as has happened in the past, they have spread out to form one massive cookie on the tray. WHY?? What am i doing wrong. Please help.

They had a good 2 inches between them when they went in. I am very disappointed.

HeyRoly Wed 15-Feb-17 15:22:25

Butter too soft?

How are you mounding the mixture onto the tray, as it were?

(I usually have the opposite problem and have to keep opening the oven to flatten them down - nothing worse than a cookie that's all fat and cakey!)

SwearyGodmother Wed 15-Feb-17 15:23:46

Do you chill the cookie dough before cooking? I find if they're too warm when they go into the oven you end up with everything spreading into each other.

HeyRoly Wed 15-Feb-17 15:24:04

I've just re-read and you said two inches apart. Actually I think that's probably the issue. You need to space them further apart than that, especially if you're making large cookies.

LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 15:28:24

Sweary, no I didn't chill them. That may be it. last time I made them I had perfect cookies but I chilled the dough for a full day before using it.
The butter was not soft at all - I just threw it in straight from the fridge. So definitely not that.

It's a heck of a mess. DH is just about to say something about the result... he better watch out.

LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 15:29:01

They were the size of large walnuts going in...

Mol1628 Wed 15-Feb-17 15:29:30

Make them smaller and more spaced out.

LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 15:29:49

He said they look like they 'melted everywhere'. Then 'What's for dinner?'. Doesn't miss a beat.

AdaColeman Wed 15-Feb-17 15:34:54

Either your dough is too wet, (perhaps you are using too large a size egg) or the fat to flour ratio is wrong, (too much fat). Double check your recipe, especially if you are converting from cups or making large quantities.

AdaColeman Wed 15-Feb-17 15:36:18

Also you could be cooking them at too low a temperature.

LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 15:41:49

Thanks folks I'm going to start afresh and leave nothing to chance. It's just weird sometimes this just seems to happen... but I've been baking cookies since I was a child. I'm no amateur!!

penguincrumble Wed 15-Feb-17 15:58:36

Definitely chill the dough for ages, I used to have this problem but now I chill it and it's fine. If that doesn't fix it try a new recipe I think.

penguincrumble Wed 15-Feb-17 15:59:09

Also preheat the oven which I wasn't doing before. The low heat let them sort of melt before they hardened.

LimeySnickett Wed 15-Feb-17 18:32:11

That could have been a factor penguin. I preheated, but it was on a lower heat by accident when they went in. It will never happen again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now