Talk

Advanced search

Neglected sour dough starter - help/advice needed pls!

(5 Posts)
Pennypie Tue 07-Feb-17 10:57:59

Please can any bread making experts help?

About 10 months ago I tried making sourdough bread (which tbh wasn't very successful!). I fed the starter a few times, and kept in in the fridge.
Ahem.
Sooo, clearing out the fridge yesterday, I found it at the back of the fridge. It hadn't been fed since last summer. shock
I poured off the hooch and was in the process of chucking it out, when I noticed that underneath it looked ok, so I took out about a tablespoon, put it into a clean jar and fed it yesterday. I chucked out the rest.
This morning it seems to be bubbling away. I've just fed it again and am leaving it out in the kitchen.
Do you think this should be ok to use, or should I throw it out? (am feeling very guilty at neglecting it like this!)

Many thanks for any advice! smile

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 07-Feb-17 15:23:54

PP, it seems to be alive, so I should think it is perfectly OK. You will need to freshen it up quite a bit (like all week probably) but I can't think why it won't be OK.

Pennypie Wed 08-Feb-17 08:38:31

Thank you, 4merly. flowers it's bubbling away quite happily at the moment, but I will make sure I feed it all week. Perhaps I'll have another attempt at sour dough bread next week ( my previous attempts came out like boulders! confused )
Thank you for your advice!

InigoTaran Wed 27-Sep-17 00:22:22

I just made my first ever sourdough today and it turned out great, have never made bread before. I found Paul Hollywood's instructions v clear and helpful, there's also lots of useful videos on YouTube. Have another go! ( And report back...) smile

InigoTaran Wed 27-Sep-17 00:24:20

His method is here ( just omit the herbs)

www.mumsnet.com/family-food/basil-coriander-sourdough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now