Talk

Advanced search

Can I use Demerara instead of soft light brown sugar?

(9 Posts)
msrisotto Sat 04-Feb-17 16:05:04

I have a ton of Demerara and want to make gingerbread. Recipe calls for soft light brown sugar. What will happen if I swap it for Demerara?

missmoffatt2705 Sun 05-Feb-17 16:07:10

the granules in demerara are quite large which may result in a gritty texture - could you put the sugar in a food processor first to try and make it a little finer?

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Sun 05-Feb-17 16:09:58

It'll be fine - I use whatever sugar I have in the house. Will be darker and more treacly in flavour.

SoupDragon Sun 05-Feb-17 16:11:22

I think Demerara is a better sugar for gingerbread than "soft light brown"

AdaColeman Sun 05-Feb-17 16:11:57

Some gingerbread recipies call for melting sugar/butter/syrup/ together so that would work with demerera as long as you made sure it was completely dissolved.

MiddleClassProblem Sun 05-Feb-17 16:13:01

I've done this when baking cookies x

AdaColeman Sun 05-Feb-17 16:18:43

Have you tried meringues made with demerera sugar? Delicious, especially with some chopped walnuts folded in.

InTheDessert Sun 05-Feb-17 16:19:10

I'd Google a recipie that asks for demerara sugar, and use that. The crystal structure is very different between the 2 types.

msrisotto Sun 05-Feb-17 17:29:22

No i've never thought of putting demerara in Meringues! Do you put it in as is, or do you put it in the blender to make it a finer texture?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now