Talk

Advanced search

Question about baking quantities

(6 Posts)
Dancergirl Wed 01-Feb-17 15:21:28

I'm baking a chocolate fudge cake for dd's birthday party at the weekend.

Recipe says 8-10 which isn't big enough so I want to increase by 50% (1.5 times as big).

It says I need two 8-inch sandwich tins. What size tins should I use?

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 01-Feb-17 15:29:01

I have used this chart in the past when I didn't have the right sized tin and it worked fine. I imagine that you can also use it backwards (IYSWIM) so apparently you would need two ten inch sandwich tins.

MrsHathaway Wed 01-Feb-17 16:03:31

Honestly, I'd use three eight-inch and make the currently fashionable very tall cake.

When you change tin size it messes with timings. Two ten-inch sounds right but you'll need to fudge the timing as well (keep checking) which is a bit of a pain.

Dancergirl Wed 01-Feb-17 16:32:45

I've just checked my baking cupboard and I have 2 8" tins and one 9"! I'll have to buy some new ones but want to make sure I get the right size.

Dancergirl Wed 01-Feb-17 16:35:23

Apologies, just checked recipe again and it calls for THREE 8" tins. How is this going to work??

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 01-Feb-17 17:08:20

I would use 3 10 inch tins then, personally. MrsHathaway is right, and the baking time would need adjusting, but if you keep an eye on it (through the door obviously, not opening the oven) it should be fine. Or else I would use a different recipe! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now