Talk

Advanced search

Traveling birthday cake!

(5 Posts)
milkmoustache Thu 26-Jan-17 10:38:44

My mum has asked me to make a cake for her 80th birthday. I am a confident baker but there are several factors to take into account: we will be coming by train, we will have had a big restaurant lunch earlier in the day, and will probably be sharing it between at least 10 of us. I don't do pretty cakes with sugar work or perfect icing, it needs to taste great but not be too rich or heavy. I can assemble it at her house, so layers are a definite option, but I am feeling a bit stuck otherwise... Anyone have a brilliant idea??

milkmoustache Thu 26-Jan-17 17:16:58

Anyone at all...?

missmoffatt2705 Mon 30-Jan-17 14:26:18

Why don't you make a traybake type sponge and cover with fondant and a cake topper? The cake topper could be a photo of your mum on holiday or with the grandkids. Cake could be flavoured sponge like lemon, choc or vanilla or perhaps a light fruit cake. You can level off the top for flat surface for topper or whatever other decorations you are putting on top such as eighty candles!

TheOnlyWayIsMN Sat 04-Feb-17 19:41:00

I wouldn't really want to transport a cake on a train but I suppose if you're careful, it should be fine. I stick a cake down on a cake board with the buttercream and in the right size cake box and transport in car happily.

Pinterest is your friend here for ideas. Something like this is easy:
uk.pinterest.com/pin/497436721327073634/

TheOnlyWayIsMN Sat 04-Feb-17 19:46:12

This looks beautiful:

uk.pinterest.com/pin/393853929884303182/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now