Talk

Advanced search

Why does my pastry do this?

(11 Posts)
SidseBabettKnudsen Tue 24-Jan-17 12:53:11

This always happens when I make pies or tarts and I don't know why. They start off looking perfectly nicely shaped and end up like a banana! It doesn't matter what type of pasty, or whether it's shop bought or home made or what the filling is.

Where am I going wrong?

DoItTooJulia Tue 24-Jan-17 12:57:10

Are you blind baking first?

worriesabouttomorrow Tue 24-Jan-17 13:05:11

Are you using baking beans?

SidseBabettKnudsen Tue 24-Jan-17 13:11:39

No, but the recipes don't say to do this. The recipe I made today (as pictured!) said to put the filling in the pastry after it's been chilled in the fridge.

Getabloominmoveon Tue 24-Jan-17 13:13:39

I always chill my pastry in the case, and then blind bake - regardless of what the recipe says. Looks like your pastry could have been a bit too warm going in, and possibly the heat in your oven isn't even, causing the banana effect?

SteppingOnToes Tue 24-Jan-17 13:24:11

Chill the pastry, then blind bake it with beans first and it should stay nicely in shape. Same with cookies - cook from chilled and they will stay flat and in shape rather than them going puffy smile

SidseBabettKnudsen Tue 24-Jan-17 13:35:34

Thank you very much, I will do this. My oven is about a month old so I don't think it's uneven, it certainly seems to cook and bake everything else wonderfully.

But I will definitely blind bake regardless of the recipe from now on. How long would you blind bake for?

Skooba Tue 24-Jan-17 13:39:10

They look a bit over cooked. I wonder if it is a bit too hot, and so the outside is cooking faster than the middle so warping as the middle starts to expand. I have a new Zanussi cooker and fan oven is v hot.

CRbear Tue 24-Jan-17 13:41:44

You're stretching the pastry and it's pinging back when it bakes.

If rolling out pastry, roll to a sheet and chill for 10 mins. Cut the shapes - do not twist when you do so. Lift and line the tin being careful not to warp or stretch at all. Full abs chill for 30 mins before baking in a really hot oven!

CRbear Tue 24-Jan-17 13:42:15

Fill and chill that should say *
(I'm a chef!)

SteppingOnToes Tue 24-Jan-17 13:43:18

Oh another tip - don't forget to prick the pastry with a fork before baking it.

I've also found it's easier to put the pastry in the dish and chill the whole thing than wait ages for a big lump to chill. If you roll it first you can get away with putting it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now