Talk

Advanced search

Great basic waffle recipe?

(5 Posts)
tangerino Mon 02-Jan-17 11:35:02

I received an electric waffle maker for Christmas and tried it out today, using the recipe that came with it. The waffles looked great but were a bit stodgy, not light and fluffy. If I'd cooked them longer the outside would have been overdone.

Does anyone have a recipe they recommend for basic breakfast waffles ( to be served with a sprinkle of icing sugar and berries, or similar)?

Thank you!

graveyardkate Mon 02-Jan-17 11:36:39

Following this thread!

tangerino Wed 04-Jan-17 12:02:27

Answering my own question, I made some pretty good waffles with this recipe yesterday (apols for cup measures)

2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

TheWorstNoel Thu 05-Jan-17 14:44:58

This is what I use - the yeast makes ALL the difference, but you do have to organise yourself to make it an hour or so before you use it. I think you could probably leave it overnight in the fridge, though.

In a big bowl, whisk
2 cups plain flour,
1.5 tsp instant yeast
pinch of salt

Heat 1.5 cups of milk to blood temperature, then pour it over the dry mix, along with 2 eggs, 3 tbsp or so melted butter (eyeball it, not an exact science!), a generous glug of maple syrup and an optional generous glug of vegetable oil (helps makes the waffles crisp up).

Whisk together, cover with cling film and leave for an hour, so the yeast starts working and the mixture goes puffy. Then transfer it into a measuring jug for ease of pouring.

Makes 12-16 waffles.

Orangedaisy Thu 05-Jan-17 14:47:25

250g Flour (plain)
7g Baking powder
20g Caster sugar
5g Salt
475ml Milk
2 Eggs
30ml Vegetable oil
Weigh all the dry ingredients, place in a large mixing bowl. Break the eggs into the milk and beat the mixture.
Add the egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Add the oil and mix all ingredients together until all the large lumps have been broken up. Do not over mix otherwise the waffles will be heavy when cooked.
Pre heat the waffle maker and spray with oil (1 cal spray works well).
Pour 3/4 of a cup of batter into the waffle maker and cook for 3-4 mins or until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
Serve hot with maple syrup. Also good served with sliced banana or blueberries.
Cooked waffles can be frozen and heated up in the toaster. Unused batter mixture can be kept in a container in the fridge for up to 2 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now