Talk

Advanced search

Who can solve our Xmas eve dessert...?

(16 Posts)
blueobsessive Fri 23-Dec-16 18:34:03

My utterly middle class dilemma: Mil arrives tomorrow. I'm knackered and all out of inspiration for Xmas eve dessert. Googling isn't filling me with joy.

I have the following ingredients going spare : 1 punnet of cranberries, bar of white chocolate, a surprisingly large quantity of cardamom, standard cake ingredients (flour, eggs, sugar, ground almonds if needed), lemons.

Family do not like cheesecake or lots of cream or undisguised eggs (i.e. A dessert which would count as creamy or eggy)(!)

May I call on the collective expertise of mumsnet and ask if anyone has a good recipe for a cake/dessert with this lot? I have a mixer (not a KA but it can do whizzing).

pinkblink Fri 23-Dec-16 18:36:00

Blondies, with cranberries in of course wink

ChuckSnowballs Fri 23-Dec-16 18:40:16

Family do not like cheesecake

Da fuk?

I have never heard of this - is it a thing now?

franke Fri 23-Dec-16 18:43:56

Some kind of meringue affair?

franke Fri 23-Dec-16 18:44:30

Profiteroles with white chocolate sauce.

blueobsessive Fri 23-Dec-16 18:44:45

Thanks pink blink. Just checked cupboard. All out of normal brown sugar: only white and muscovado? Might that be a bit risky do you think?

franke Fri 23-Dec-16 18:45:06

Both infused with cardamom of course.

MoMandaS Fri 23-Dec-16 18:45:30

Blondies with the cardamom in (white choc and cardamom is lovely as I'm guessing you know), with cranberry compote.

blueobsessive Fri 23-Dec-16 18:45:32

I know: I love cheesecake. Married into a family of cheese despisers.... what have I done?

pinkblink Fri 23-Dec-16 19:13:44

Only one way to find out blue haha let us know!

blueobsessive Fri 23-Dec-16 19:18:59

Might wimp out and do muffins. They can take white sugar. With no butter they must count as healthy- surely...

larrygengurch Fri 23-Dec-16 19:33:54

My MIL does a lovely white chocolate and cardamon tart - might be nice with cranberries in!

Mrskeats Fri 23-Dec-16 19:38:04

Get in car. Drive to m and s/Waitrose etc
Problem solved smile)

BestIsWestofBedfordFalls Fri 23-Dec-16 19:47:26

Cranberry and cardamom frangipane here

Frollyhollyday Fri 23-Dec-16 19:52:57

What about brownie mince pie?

blueobsessive Fri 23-Dec-16 20:01:46

Thank you all for the suggestions and links. Not sure what a brownie mince pie is (brownie in a pastry case or mincemeat in a brownie??). My mind is blown.

I'm aiming for mix, plop in tin/ dish/case, bake, ta da! Then from mil:"Oh that looks amazing, you shouldn't have gone to the trouble" (while I am subtly rubbing hands at absurdly little trouble taken).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now