Talk

Advanced search

Spice cake disaster! HELP!

(13 Posts)
ThinkPinkStink Wed 21-Dec-16 18:07:43

Hi there,

I'm making this recipe: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kirsties-handmade-christmas/articles/all/sticky-ginger-cake-with-clementine-icing/2875 and I've just realised the loaf tin is too small.

It's been in the oven for about ten mins and is already overflowing (have snuck a baking tray under it to collect overflow). I should have questioned this before I put it in he oven as the batter came close to the top of the tin. I just presumed it would be fine like a doofus- I guess trying to 'bake with a nine week old' is not recommended.

What do I do? Just leave it to cook and chop off any weird bits? Will it take longer/less time to cook? Have I just wasted the last of my treacle?

I am a disaster!!

Sorry for any typos!

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 21-Dec-16 18:09:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WonderWombat Wed 21-Dec-16 18:10:48

Or put some overflow and mixture from the main tin into small bun tins and take them out early.

ThinkPinkStink Wed 21-Dec-16 18:14:25

It's too late I think, it took me so long to write that post (see aforementioned nine week old) it's been in for 20 mins now... it's over 1/3 cooked!

Thank you though. I'm just going to have to wait and see... so far it looks like an oozing mound of, well, poo actually!

Bloody Alsopp grin

TeaPleaseLouise Wed 21-Dec-16 19:51:55

ThinkPinkStink Wed 21-Dec-16 20:44:28

It wasn't looking hopeful at 45 mins, so I took it out, hacked off the extra bits, covered it in foil and baked for another 20 mins (in a slightly cooler oven).

It has flopped a fair bit in the middle, but it turned out okay and looks reasonable top-side-down and I've doused it in lemon/clementine sauce...

ThinkPinkStink Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:23

It's not a 'looker' but I don't think it's meant to be.

Allalonenow Wed 21-Dec-16 20:55:26

Keep all the bits you cut off and make them into a ginger and orange trifle. Tinned oranges, marmalade on the cake, plenty of cream and custard, crystalized ginger if you have some.

ThinkPinkStink Wed 21-Dec-16 21:00:25

All That is a great idea, however I ...ahem...nommed all the scraps straight off the oven shelf! It tasted pretty nice, fingers crossed the loaf itself isn't a horrible disaster inside. All in all, crisis, largely averted. Hoooooray, and thanks!!

Allalonenow Wed 21-Dec-16 21:03:39

[fgrin} Oh! I'm glad it wasn't wasted, that would be known as Cook's Perks here.

Allalonenow Wed 21-Dec-16 21:04:26

fgrin fgrin

TeaPleaseLouise Thu 22-Dec-16 08:05:10

ThinkPinkStink Thu 22-Dec-16 09:24:57

...thanks all!

tea - so long as no one questions why it's upside down, I think we've got a go-er!

Aaand breathe!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now