Bread sticking in the tin! At the end of my tether

(10 Posts)
tillytubby Sun 30-Oct-16 06:14:56

I've been baking my own bread for nearly two years and have gone through countless supposedly non stick tins in that time. They start off ok but after a few months use the non stick fails and I end up cutting the bread out with a pallet knife and scratching the tin to add to its woes. This also inevitably leads to bread covered in non stick coating residue which I have to scrape off!

I recently spent £20 on a Lakeland earthenware loaf tin which by the description sounded like the answer. But again spent 20mibs prising it out and another ruined tin!

Where am i going wrong? I always grease the tin first and that usually is enough at first. Is there a better range on the market without this problem?

canyou Sun 30-Oct-16 06:18:16

I now use tge silicone plastic type and then remove the bread when 'set' ie will hold its shape and continue baking.
But looking forward to an answer as I think it may be the material use now I remember my Nana having an old battered heavy tin that never stuck with only a dusting if flour.

BertrandRussell Sun 30-Oct-16 06:23:39

Have you tried greasing then flouring?

shutthatbloodydoor Sun 30-Oct-16 06:27:36

I don't bother with a tin. My loaves are a rustic because I just vaguely shape them on a baking sheet covered in baking parchment.

SpaceDinosaur Sun 30-Oct-16 06:34:12

Silicone.
<nods sagely>

Silicone "tins" are freaking awesome!

Take the £20 one back to Lakeland. They should refund you if it's not up to the jo

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 31-Oct-16 09:37:20

Your "Grease" may be the problem. What are you using? Olive Oil goes sticky at high temperatures (and they are certainly high for bread). I use an anodised aluminium one which I grease with block butter (not a spreadable with additives) and then dust with flour. My loaves literally drop out when I turn the pan over.

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 31-Oct-16 09:40:15

I have the same issue. greasing with butter and flouring helps. but what helps best is waiting 2 min. the loaf shrinks slightly and comes out easily.
or just go freeform

BertrandRussell Mon 31-Oct-16 10:42:14

My bread on,y sticks when it's not a very good loaf- if I've overproved it or put it in too cool an oven.

I use butter to grease and I do it very thoroughly. Then I flour-also very thoroughly.

You can buy a spray from Lakeland that' supposed to work well. There's also a thing called Baker's Friend you can make.......

PhantomPringles Mon 31-Oct-16 10:45:14

I use spray oil to grease pans, or just flour on baking trays. may be worth buying some foil lined parchment as nothing sticks to the parchment side and I have found it better than just parchment. But otherwise silicon is the future.

tillytubby Thu 03-Nov-16 11:28:26

Thanks everyone, think I will be trying something else to grease the pans with other than olive oil in future.

I emailed Lakeland and they have given me a full refund and said there's no need to send the loaf pan back! Very pleased with this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now