Talk

Advanced search

Why does my bread look like this?

(9 Posts)
PineappleExpress Fri 21-Oct-16 12:42:36

Made some bread in my bread maker, which I have used many times without any problems, and the last two loaves have turned out like this.
It's like it's started to rise and then given up and is so crusty in the bottom and really, really dense inside.

I've done exactly the same as I normally do, following the instruction and recipe books, I'm using the same brand of ingredients I've always used, everything is in date etc etc.
I can't work out what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?

PinkSwimGoggles Fri 21-Oct-16 12:47:10

looks like it's not rising properly.
yeast is a bit temperamental and how it works has to do with many factors like air moisture, temperature, salt 'potency'...

that's why I gave up on breadmaker and got a kitchen mashine instead

OrianaBanana Fri 21-Oct-16 12:53:16

Mine has been doing this too so I'm interested. I wondered if it was old flour, old yeast, or liquid touching yeast too early.. if it keeps happening I'll chuck the machine out (it's elderly) but it did make such nice bread.

Microwaste Fri 21-Oct-16 12:55:16

You can check how good your yeast still is by just putting some in warm water with a bit of sugar and see how well it foams up. Even in-date yeast can lose its potency, you might find you'd do better with fresh.

PineappleExpress Fri 21-Oct-16 12:57:41

Thanks Micro. I'll check my yeast later. Hopefully that's all it is. Bread maker is fairly new and not very used

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 21-Oct-16 15:30:54

You didn't put your salt in too close to the yeast did you? or too much salt? That would weaken the yeast greatly.

PineappleExpress Fri 21-Oct-16 15:39:49

No, yeast on the bottom as per instructions, perfectly measured salt on top of all other dry ingredients sad

SleepFreeZone Fri 21-Oct-16 15:42:41

I keep my yeast in the fridge. I was having issues in the past but this seems to have helped.

BlueBlueSkies Sat 22-Oct-16 23:16:26

I don't have a bread maker. Making bread by hand I found that a few batches were not rising properly. I threw away the yeast and bought some more and kept it in the fridge. Problem solved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now