I've lost my favourite banana bread/cake recipe

(6 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Wed 19-Oct-16 16:47:39

Please help! I've been scouring the internet for about a week and no joy - the bananas are crying out to be smushed for cake!

I posted a thread on chat ages ago, but of course, the thread has now gone. A MNer posted a recipe that was I think a Nigella Community recipe. It used four bananas and chocolate chips. And it was so easy.

Can you find me one that matches this description? The four bananas being key!

I've trawled through all the Nigella Community recipes including the word 'banana' and I can't find it. <weeps>

MoonlightandMusic Wed 19-Oct-16 23:24:44

Hmm - Might it be this one?

It's a Bill Granger recipe, but was posted on the Nigella Community forum.

maslinpan Thu 20-Oct-16 13:31:53

Tried and tested, but sadly uses imperial - should convert quite easily!
Mash 4 soggy bananas w 3 tbsp plain yogurt. Cream together 2 Oz butter and 4oz light muscovado, add 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla. Add 2oz chopped nuts, handful of Chicago, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and banana mix. Finally add 8oz SR, pinch salt, and put in lined 2lb tin. 50 mins at 180.

malovitt Thu 20-Oct-16 13:36:25

This one always comes out fantastically and is really easy:
The measurements are given in cups, which makes it even easier to make as you do not have to be super accurate with your measuring. As it's so easy to make it's also ideal for children to make.

Group 1 ingredients:
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon milk
2 over-ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg
Handful of cropped walnuts (optional)

Group 2 ingredients
1½ cup plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt

- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and grease a medium sized bread tin.
- Mix group 1 ingredients together in a bowl
- Add group 2 ingredients to group 1 and mix well
- Pour the mixture into the bread tin – I told you it was easy!
- Cook for 25-30 minutes
- Remove the banana bread from the oven and put on a wire rack to cool
- Cut into slices and enjoy!!

You can also put the mixture into small individual cake cases and cook them for about 10-12 minutes – perfect for lunch boxes!

GinAndOnIt Thu 20-Oct-16 14:12:26

Oh Moonlight yes I think that might be it!

maslin I like the sound of that one too - and I have imperial scales which is handy wink

I made one in the end yesterday but it's not the nicest I've ever made. Will have a go at the other two as well.

Thanks for recipe too mal but I like ones with four bananas smile

JoanCallamezzo Thu 20-Oct-16 14:31:54

The Mary Berry one from her Baking Bible (or here is my foolproof banana loaf recipe. It doesn't feature chocolate chips but I have often added them (or pecans - or a swirl of Nutella) if I happen to have them in my cupboard. I also vary the number of bananas depending on how many I have to use up. This recipe has never let me down. Good old Bezza.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now