Talk

Advanced search

Rubbing flour and butter together

(40 Posts)
GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:17:24

Is the most tedious thing I've ever had to do. I'm surely making it more difficult than it needs to be.

I made cheese scones the other week, and whinged the whole time. I keep avoiding pastry recipes.

I want to make a crumble with some lovely home grown apples I was given, and I don't know if I can face it.

I plan to ask for a lovely electric mixer of some sort for Christmas, but does anyone have any secrets about how to make it just marginally more pleasurable?

My fingers feel like they seize up into a claw within about 5 minutes of doing it. But I really want crumble!

imsotiredd Sun 02-Oct-16 12:19:43

I find cutting the butter into small cubes helps also slightly softened I quite like doing it tho grin

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:21:39

I did try that. I also tried watching the woman on the BBC website merrily rubbing it altogether. I do exactly as she does, but just replace the happy grin with an unamused scowl.

Stopyourhavering Sun 02-Oct-16 12:23:17

This is why you need a food processor.....brilliant for making pastry! and no sticky fingers

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:23:33

I also dislike crushing biscuits for cheesecake, and whipping butter for icing sugar. So basically anything that requires a bit of effort. Perhaps I just don't like baking!

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:24:38

For icing sugar? That's not what I meant. For buttercream

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Oct-16 12:25:20

You can buy bags of crumble topping in supermarkets for about 50p.

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 02-Oct-16 12:25:22

yes to food processor. or mixer (on low with the dough hook)

ChuckBiscuits Sun 02-Oct-16 12:26:15

I get the butter nice and cold and grate it into the flour. Make sure you coat the butter with the flour as you add the grated butter.

Then wait for it to warm up and then once it is soft, then rub it in.

When you do it, make sure your hands are palm up not down.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 02-Oct-16 12:28:10

It takes about 3 minutes,what on earth are you doing to make it tedious?grin

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 02-Oct-16 12:29:46

I love it...best part of my year is making a great vat of pastry for mince pies

Massive bowl of flour...two or three blocks of butter...it's like some calming ritual

I always feel ready for anything if I have homemade pastry in the freezer.

DesolateWaist Sun 02-Oct-16 12:31:13

I hate it too and never do it. I use a food processor.

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:32:46

Buying ready-made stuff makes me feel like a fraud though. Or that I should just buy a whole ready-made crumble grin

3 minutes?!? It takes me at least twenty. What am I doing?!

Grated butter sounds like it could work...

CointreauVersial Sun 02-Oct-16 12:33:33

For crumble, there's a lazy version - substitute oats for half of the flour, then melt the butter, pour it in, mix with a fork. Clean fingers guaranteed!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 02-Oct-16 12:35:00

20 minutes?!shock

What are your quantities?

Soft butter,cold hands,rub together quickly.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 02-Oct-16 12:35:45

And I've never whisked butter for butter creamconfused

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:37:06

Ooooh that's interesting cointreau

The twenty minutes is probably 15 minutes worth of me leaning on the counter making a 'urrghhhhh' noise. I never have cold hands though. Perhaps there lies the issue!

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:37:46

Not whisking.. you know like beating with a spoon. So it's creamy.

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:38:31

Like when you beat butter and sugar together to make a cake?

prettybird Sun 02-Oct-16 12:40:00

I've made short crust pastry both in the food processor and by hand (rubbing in) and not been able to tell the difference and I make good pastry

Alternatively use the K beater with a KitchenAid or Kenwood Chef.

Failing either of those, my mum taught me to rub fat in (for scones or pastry) using one of these before she got her Kenwood Chef (and was how I had to do it for years, before I got a food processor and was then given a Kitchen Aid as an engagement present from my parents)

prettybird Sun 02-Oct-16 12:40:54

Oops - picture didn't post. Let me see if I can find it in Lakeland Plastics, to post a link.

Pythonesque Sun 02-Oct-16 12:43:12

I'd recommend getting a mixer of some sort; but failing that and in the meantime, try working the butter into the flour with a fork. I've rarely used fingers usually some combination of fork or wooden spoon.

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:43:22

I really wanted to keep my kitchen gadget free and embrace the old ways of baking. I somehow don't think I'm cut out for it though.

PolterGoose Sun 02-Oct-16 12:43:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GinAndOnIt Sun 02-Oct-16 12:44:04

Maybe I could try fork and finish with hands. That might stop the claw!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now