Talk

Advanced search

apple pie/crumble...normal apples

(6 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 01-Oct-16 15:18:07

hi i have loads of apples that the kids wont eat. dont want to chuck them out so can i use them to make apple pie or crumble if so what would be easyest crumble or pie. if u do crumble i dont want to use oats though. thank you smile

coffeetasteslikeshit Sat 01-Oct-16 15:22:13

I use normal apples and my favourite recipe is the Raymond blanc one on the bbc good food website - although it's actually apple and blackberry.

BackforGood Sat 01-Oct-16 15:26:06

Yes, I do this sometimes to use up apples that are turning a bit wrinkly.
Personally, I usually have a bag of 'crumble mix' in the cupboard and can just bung it on top of the fruit without any faff.

ghostspirit Sat 01-Oct-16 15:44:53

Oh yeah did not think of crumble mix

quince2figs Sun 09-Oct-16 13:02:11

Make job lot of crumble mix (v easy in food proc soar if you have one) and stick a big back or tub in th freezer. You can just take out a handful (doesn't freeze solid) and make a very quick pud. Seems much less hassle than making it fresh each time!

Fauchelevent Sun 09-Oct-16 13:24:51

Yeah i'm a bit laissez faire with crumble apples. Bramleys will give the softer texture but dessert apples are nice to hold their texture. For a quick and easy crumble I just chop em up into slices and layer them then sprinkle them with brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.

Crumble is easier than a pie i think, usually i crumble the butter, sugar and flour then sprinkle it on, but it's also nice with crushed hazelnuts or crushed gingernuts. Never used oats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now