Talk

Advanced search

What cakes travel well?

(7 Posts)
Fink Wed 07-Sep-16 20:49:13

Help, hivemide ...

I want to post a cake to a friend, but I can't think what (if any) baked goodies would survive an international journey. I suppose the best bet is some sort of fruit cake, but also the least tasty (imo). Is there anything else which would cope with the journey and time delay? Any biscuits?

VioletBam Thu 08-Sep-16 02:59:46

Muffins are pretty sturdy...and the good thing about them is that if one or two are a bit crushed, there's more to back them up! What about chocolate muffins? No icing needed if they're moist and with chips.

Jenijena Thu 08-Sep-16 03:02:30

Muffins can be a bit dry though can't they? I have sent chocolate brownie tonitaly before but only a slice or two in case it took too long and the recipient opened a parcel of mould, and in the winter to minimise sitting in a hot van/depot. Fruit cake would be better though. But for guaranteed success, send chocolate?

VioletBam Thu 08-Sep-16 03:04:24

Not if you make them well! My muffins are never dry...it's a bit of an art though.

Unless you know they love fruitcake, I wouldn't send that. It's one of those love or hate things. A bit marmite.

If you don't want to do muffins, then you could just do a lovely big chocolate fudge cake?

DixieWishbone Thu 08-Sep-16 03:06:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fink Thu 08-Sep-16 06:36:19

Thanks everyone, they all sound great. Especially loving the parkin idea, I would never have thought of that on my own.

I might send that and some chocolate cookies which are pretty sturdy could be used as bricks.

So, what's the secret to moist muffins then?

FurryTurnip Thu 08-Sep-16 06:39:37

Nigella has a recipe for a lovely 'damp' almond and lemon cake that gets better the longer you leave it, up to a week. Don't be put off by the word damp in it's name. At least it's better than 'moist'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now