Jaffa cakes

(15 Posts)
blamethecat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:31:04

So having watched GBBBO last week I thought I might have a go at Jaffa cakes, looking at the recipe jaffa cakes it states two cutter sizes but only mentions one for cutting the jelly in recipe, also the cakes look like they have been cut down in the picture, am I missing something ? also how can I make my own orange jelly as I can't eat shop bought.

MinnowAndTheBear Tue 30-Aug-16 16:36:30

What is your issue with shop bought jelly?

blamethecat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:40:36

Orange flavoured/coloured stuff gives me a very dodgy stomach. Any other jelly is fine, hence why I want to make my own jaffa cakes because I can't eat bought ones.

pontificationcentral Tue 30-Aug-16 16:41:12

Dd1 made them last week. Recipe was fairly straightforward - she just used one size cutter for the jelly.
Unless you tell us what it is about shop bought jelly that you can't have <presumably an allergy to something> not much help?

purpleporpoise Tue 30-Aug-16 16:43:14

You can make jelly with leaf gelatine and orange juice. I've never tried it but if you google I'm sure there will be recipes

pontificationcentral Tue 30-Aug-16 16:44:14

One of the artificial colours? Just check the packets and buy one without, or use lemon instead - you can still add the other orangey ingredients.
Can you eat regular Jaffa cakes? (Ie do they have the same ingredient?)
I might otherwise be tempted to use marmalade lol <but presumably you'd need to check that for your allergy too?>
They are delish, anyway. Have fun making!

Sadik Tue 30-Aug-16 16:46:17

There's a very simple jelly recipe here - to get orange jelly just replace the strawberry/apple juice with orange juice.
I'd use freshly squeezed if I was making jelly for dessert, but carton would be fine to go into a cake I reckon. (Obvs you don't need the strawberries!)

strawberrypenguin Tue 30-Aug-16 16:46:22

Cakes aren't cut down - you make then in a standard fairy cake tin. Half fill the holes don't fill all the way.
Make orange jelly with gelatine sheets and orange juice - or use a different flavour jelly!

RiverTam Tue 30-Aug-16 16:46:26

Can you make jelly without using gelatine, ie a veggie jelly? DH fancied these but he and DD are veggie.

I have to say, surely Jaffa cakes are one thing that everyone, always and forever, eats shop-bought?

blamethecat Tue 30-Aug-16 16:48:52

I don't know exactly was causes the dodgy stomach but pretty much anything that is orange make me ill, it is fairly easy to avoid orange flavoured stuff so haven't figured out what it is. I will buy some oranges and juice them.

vindscreenviper Tue 30-Aug-16 16:49:19

I've always used a nice, chunky marmalade not jelly.

Sadik Tue 30-Aug-16 17:55:35

RiverTam, you could buy a veggie jelly sachet and make up with juice to make it properly orange-y. If I'm doing that for this kind of thing I cut the volume of liquid by 15-20% compared to the packet instructions, to make it slightly more 'chewy' the way that non-veggy jelly is (IYKWIM)
The 'just wholefoods' brand that they sell in our local wholefood shop definitely works well (only exception being that IME vodka jelly doesn't work with veggie jelly crystals - though to be fair it's many years since I've tried!)

1frenchfoodie Thu 01-Sep-16 20:17:42

Orange juice and leaf gelatine, with orange zest added to the OJ as you warm it for a more grown up zesty taste will be fine for the jelly.

It may be a colourant rather than flavouring that causes the upset stomach, particularly if only orange jelly is a problem. E102 or tartrazine (yellow colour) can cause stomach upsets as well as problems for asthmatics.

tattiehat Thu 01-Sep-16 20:21:41

Ooh I made Mary Berry's Jaffa Cakes last week after watching the bake off, couldn't believe how easy they were to make!

tattiehat Thu 01-Sep-16 20:22:38

Ooh I made Mary Berry's Jaffa Cakes last week after watching the bake off, couldn't believe how easy they were to make!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now