Help - bread suddenly not rising - Panasonic breadmaker

(21 Posts)
Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 12:05:41

Hoping someone has some help/suggestions! Have a Panasonic sd-zb2502 breadmaker for about 3.5 years now. Love it and has made bread perfectly for ages. Usually use a granary/seed Wessex mill flour, menu 4, medium. Ran out so used waitrose love life crunchy mixed seed flour (red packet). Also opened a new Allisons yeast tub. Used both of these before and don't remember issues - but bread this morning half the size and like a brick! Making a new one now but just had a peek and looks the same sad

Could it be the flour? Manual suggests this and also possibly humidity can affect? It is v hot in London today...or duff yeast (is there such a thing?). I'm irrationally put out by it, as it has always been fine and haven't bought bread in years (though will of course if have to, hungry DC to feed!)

Thanks in advance!

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 12:32:57

sad

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 18-Jul-16 14:51:01

Salt not in contact with yeast? If it is than the salt will severely reduce the yeasts ability to multiply/grow.

sandycloud Mon 18-Jul-16 14:59:12

This happened to me about a year ago. I bought some new yeast and all was fine. I think it can go off quite easily. It was just out of date when I checked.

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 15:22:48

Thanks for suggestions! No the yeast is separately dispensed by the machine so not in contact, also it was a new tub with 2017 use by date but I guess still could be a bad one? I just don't know whether to try another one with different yeast and/or different flour?

MackerelOfFact Mon 18-Jul-16 15:26:40

I haven't used a bread maker for years, but when I did I do recall that during hot weather the loaves didn't rise anywhere near as well - something to do with the speed the yeast reacts or something.

Maybe try using a little less water if the humidity is an issue, and perhaps putting the ingredients in the fridge for a while beforehand?

somersetsinger Mon 18-Jul-16 15:44:18

View it like a science experiment and change one thing at a time until you work out what it is. I have a Panasonic breadmaker that is still going strong after 13 years, so you're probably OK there.

I changed from a tub of Allinson's yeast to the small packets of supermarket own brand so I'm never using something that has been open long. Even with a long use by date, it is easiest and to change the yeast first. You could also try using half lovely seeded flour, half strong white, to get a better rise.

MintTpls Mon 18-Jul-16 15:47:04

I had something like that happen a while back.
After experimenting with changing the flour and then the yeast, the still in date yeast was to blame.
I now keep my yeast powder tin in the fridge till needed.

Boleh Mon 18-Jul-16 15:50:23

Yep, most likely the yeast. If it's gets too hot it basically kills it, whether or not it's in date. When we lived overseas I used to keep it in the fridge and even then it was hit and miss as even the transport or shelves in the shop could have been too hot.

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Mon 18-Jul-16 15:51:21

I had a dud pot of yeast recently
Try a different one

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 16:02:14

It went straight in the fridge after I opened it but perhaps damage had been done beforehand? I've had it in the cupboard a fair while...thanks all! I'll attempt another overnight and let you know what happens (am sure you have better things to do though ha!)

ginghamstarfish Mon 18-Jul-16 16:05:32

Always keep yeast in the fridge. Maybe add some vitamin C too? I always add to wholemeal flour.

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 16:07:39

Even unopened gingham? Perhaps this is where I have been going wrong!

mateysmum Mon 18-Jul-16 16:10:34

As Somerset says, change one thing at a time - yeast/flour etc

Are you sure you put it on the correct programme? Probably the 5hr wholemeal one? It's unlikely to be a fault with the machine as it looks to have mixed and baked OK, it's definitely the rise that is the problem (it's a bit on a slope too)

Not sure what you mean when you say the yeast is separately dispensed. I have 2!! Panasonic machines and you put the yeast in the bottom before the flour. The dispenser on the top of the machine is only used for fruit/nuts etc.

amistillsexy Mon 18-Jul-16 16:12:05

Almost certainly the yeast. As others have said, even if it's still in date, and you've stored it in the fridge, it can still be 'duff'.

We have 'brick bread' quite often, even when we're using sachets-one sachet from the pack produces a beautiful, well risen loaf, and the next day another loaf can be a brick. We still eat it, though...it tastes fine, it's just a bit more 'rustic' grin

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 16:16:48

Thanks I'll try a new yeast. In this machine you put the yeast in a little hole in the top of the lid, next to the fruit/nut dispenser - it releases at a specific point in the programme

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 16:17:17

I may offer the 'rustic' loaf at dinner tonight grin

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 17:04:32

I'm too impatient. Another has gone on using new doves yeast. Fingers crossed!

Ps someone mentioned vitamin c (sorry on app so now I've started writing I can't see bread!) - where can I buy this? Holland and Barrett or similar?

desperatelyseekingcaffeine Mon 18-Jul-16 17:37:14

I agree probably the yeast. I have i think the same machine and same problem. Blamed a new flour initially but it turned out to be the yeast.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Mon 18-Jul-16 17:42:18

Personally I would use the machine to knead a batch and then rise/bake without the machine. That way you will know immediately if it's the machine or the ingredients.

Poppytime Mon 18-Jul-16 20:51:18

Looks like it was the yeast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now