Talk

Advanced search

question about vegan cake

(10 Posts)
MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 08:44:01

Morning all

I'm making a vegan cake at some point today and I just want to check qualities etc. I assume that there is no rise as there's no egg in it, so the rough height that I want the cake, needs to be the same as the amount of batter that I put in the cake tin?

Thanks!

MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 08:50:37

Oh, another question! It's a lemon cake, so was thinking lemon curd in the middle, but I've just found Violife vegan cream cheese. Do you think that would work as a filler?

Do we have a vegan section? I might post it there too!

Starman16 Tue 31-May-16 08:54:18

I don't think lemon curd is vegan? Isn't it made with eggs?

You usually get some rise on vegan cakes (depending on 'egg' alternative) but not as much as a normal sponge

CamdenTownie Tue 31-May-16 08:56:51

I make a vegan chocolate cake and use bicarbonate and white vinegar to get a rise.

MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 09:06:51

Doh! Of course it has! This is harder than I anticipated! Almost wish I hadn't offered now.

I think I'll see if I can get some of that vegan cream cheese today and see what it's like, other wise I'll not bother with lemon in the cake and use jam in the middle.

Thanks for pointing out the lemon curd though!

MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 09:09:04

The person who's cake I'm making has given me a recipe, so hopefully it'll be OK. No sign of bicarbonate or vinegar in it though. It's just baking powder and veg oil. I'm guessing that does the rising.

Starman16 Tue 31-May-16 09:43:48

You could grate some lemon zest into the cream cheese to get extra lemon flavour?

Or make standard buttercream using margarine (check packet but most brands are vegan I think) instead of butter - maybe add vanilla or lemon flavouring.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Tue 31-May-16 09:49:30

The baking powder makes it rise so you do need to allow room to rise in the pan otherwise it'll overflow.
I'm guessing you already have a recipe but sharing this one for vegan lemon drizzle anyway because it's the only vegan cake recipe I've used that gives that light fluffy texture of normal cake ethicalchef.co.uk/recipe/vegan-lemon-cake/

MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 13:10:14

Thank you so much. I'm over thinking the middle aren't I? I didn't even think of ordinary butter cream, but with non diary spread!

MaureenMLove Tue 31-May-16 13:12:08

Just looked at that recipe and it's exactly the same as the one she's given me, so hopefully the cake will be fine.

Next the decorations! It has to be black and white and silver. Some silver balls have pork gelatin in them, who knew?smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now