Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you freeze cake/cupcakes/brownies?

(13 Posts)
DrowningOnSchoolRun Thu 12-May-16 14:38:41

hi

I'm doing a birthday cake for DS, cupcakes for the party guests to take away so I can keep his cake for the next day (actual birthday) and brownies.

Just wondered if anyone here freezes their cakes?

I've done brownies, double wrapped in clingfilm and then one layer of foil and put them in the freezer and will try baking and freezing cupcakes tomorrow.

Any tips?
TIA!

Skrewt Thu 12-May-16 14:39:59

Yes brownies and cake freeze very well. I make Mary Berry's Divine Chocolate Cake and freeze it iced - it defrosts perfectly: just as tasty.

DrowningOnSchoolRun Thu 12-May-16 16:07:07

Thanks! Do you butter cream it and then freeze it and it defrosts OK?? I've heard that you can do it, but not sure I can quite believe it!

I'm going to ice the day before the party, not so worried about that but just don't want to have to bake too.

Doing very simple design that a lot can be done in advance and stuck on.

I just to Mary Berry victoria sponge and her vanilla cupcakes.

NicknameUsed Thu 12-May-16 16:18:01

"Just wondered if anyone here freezes their cakes? "

Yes, frequently. They freeze beautifully iced with buttercream, which is a massive time saver if you are preparing for a special occasion like a birthday.

So can make the whole thing in advance, open freeze it, then wrap it until it is completely sealed and so the cake doesn't get freezer burn. It will taste as fresh as the day it was made after it has defrosted.

badasscafe1 Fri 13-May-16 12:23:50

sorry - just looking for clarification- how do you wrap when frosted?

TickledOnion Fri 13-May-16 13:00:22

I freeze cakes all the time. Just wrap in a couple of layers of clingfilm and a layer if foil. I've never frozen one already iced but I do freeze the icing separately. I defrost the icing but often ice the cakes while they are still partly frozen as they are less crumbly.

NicknameUsed Fri 13-May-16 14:14:04

I used foil. You need to unwrap it and put it in a cake tin when defrosting because once the icing has defrosted you might damage it when unwrapping it.

NicknameUsed Fri 13-May-16 14:14:34

I think I used a layer of baking parchment between the cake and the foil.

badasscafe1 Fri 13-May-16 14:32:01

but wouldn't the icing stick to the foil or the baking parchment?

NicknameUsed Fri 13-May-16 14:56:27

No, because you open freeze the iced cake, then wrap it. Then you unwrap it before it defrosts, and put it into a cake tin or other container.

Baking parchment is non stick.

badasscafe1 Fri 13-May-16 15:37:19

ah-- well now that makes sense! thanks for being patient with me- doh!

DrowningOnSchoolRun Fri 13-May-16 20:55:13

Sounds almost unbelievable doesn't it badass ?! Don't think I could fit a whole cake in my little freezer so will be icing while semi defrosted.

Thanks everyone!

NicknameUsed Fri 13-May-16 20:58:51

Do two coats of icing. A first thin crumb coat, leave it to set, and then a second coat. this way you won't get any crumbs in the icing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now