Talk

Advanced search

Help! Baking emergency!

(8 Posts)
SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 26-Mar-16 22:34:17

I'm making hot cross buns for tomorrow and adding the yeast put my mind into a bready place. I have just realised the egg on the side should be in the proving dough! It's almost time to add the fruit, should I just leave the egg out or should I mix it in when I add the fruit? Which is likely to be the least disasterous?

Pico2 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:36:49

Leave it out. You'll never get it to mix in.

GlowWine Sat 26-Mar-16 22:39:02

I'd say lave the egg out, it will just be a bit firmer as you're missing 50ml of liquid. Working it in at this stage could be tricky.
I also made hot cross buns today smile

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 26-Mar-16 22:40:11

Will my buns fall apart?

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 26-Mar-16 22:42:35

And thank you both for replying tbusmile I was feeling so excited about freshly baked buns tomorrow - we don't really 'do' Easter and now we suddenly have friends coming over so I wanted to make it a little bit special for them even if I can't give them eggs

SnuffleGruntSnorter Sat 26-Mar-16 22:42:59

Maybe I could give them the raw egg that should be in the bun tbugrin

LifeIsGoodish Sun 27-Mar-16 08:59:11

They won't fall apart. Most breads are made without egg. They may taste a little less 'cake-ish' and a little more 'bread-ish'. I would knock class them back and give them another proving in a warm place, if you have the time. Longer proving develops the flavour, IMO.

LifeIsGoodish Sun 27-Mar-16 09:00:27

No idea where that "class" came from confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now