Recommendations: New Kitchen Mixer

(31 Posts)
araminem Mon 21-Mar-16 18:53:13

A few days ago I started a thread asking for recommendations for a bread machine, but from the thread (although most people raved about them) I realised that what I actually need is a kitchen mixer. At the moment I only have a hand held blender.

So what kitchen mixer do you have/have had? And what would you recommend?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 21-Mar-16 18:56:06

I have a kitchenaid - love love love it, but I do bread dough by hand, very simple

araminem Mon 21-Mar-16 19:02:34

Thanks Costa. Any reason you do bread dough by hand?

(I am not an experienced baker. I bake a bit here and there, but started doing it more since I had my DS. So am looking to get a bit better equipped)

Costacoffeeplease Mon 21-Mar-16 19:13:20

Just because it's easier and quicker than using the machine and cleaning it afterwards. I use a very simple recipe, knead for 5 mins, rest for 10, knead for another 5, leave to prove for an hour, knock back, shape and prove for 45 mins or so (or freeze at the shaping stage) and bake

peekaboo1 Tue 22-Mar-16 12:42:47

I recently got a kenwood chef kmc010 when it was cheaper on Amazon. It comes with a blender and processor but is a full power mixer. Had it a few weeks now and am in love with it. Making bread and cakes all the time.

araminem Tue 22-Mar-16 17:13:19

I like the sound of the Kenwood chef kmc010. Have put a price alert on it grin

Off to check out the kitchen aid.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 23-Mar-16 19:18:27

I replaced our elderly bread machine with a stand mixer, I still don't have to knead (which I hate) but it makes other things as well. I have some form of Kenwood Chef, there was a good deal at Currys a few years ago and it was a chance too good to miss. I've been very pleased with it, it makes bread once a week and cakes now and again. I have the blender attachment and have used it once, for the little soup I make it's faster (and less cleaning) to use the stick blender.

When you are comparing mixers look to see what they recommend for the maximum weight of flour for bread, the bigger the motor the more dough it can cope with.

MrsCocoa Wed 30-Mar-16 23:53:50

Araminem - am on a similar mission - can I join you? My budget stand mixer expired just days after the warranty ended. So, am reflecting on whether it's worth investing a bit more when replacing it (but not so much it means not all the children can come on holiday this yeargrin).

Please shout if you spot something that's decent quality and mid-priced.

araminem Thu 31-Mar-16 07:31:01

Welcome to the thread MrsCocoa (feeling very inviting wink).

I have never had a kitchen mixer so not even sure what I am looking for, or what all the various words mean! So very happy to have someone who knows more than me here.

seefeld Thu 31-Mar-16 07:50:30

I have a Magimix 4200 XL and absolutely love it. Makes bread dough and cake batter in seconds and I also use it loads for slicing, grating and chopping veg. It has three different sized bowls nesting in each other and the mini bowl is really useful for making things like curry pastes, pesto, hummus and nut butters. The motor is guaranteed for 30 years so while it was expensive I'm hoping it'll last a long while!

araminem Thu 31-Mar-16 08:07:11

The Magimix seems to have bits I don't really need (the hand held blender, as already have one, and a hand held whisker etc...if I understand it well). However it is cheaper than the Kenwood I am leaning towards!

Follyfoot Thu 31-Mar-16 18:10:45

Its funny how we are all different. I hate my Magimix 4200 XL. Its almost impossible to use the small bowl without getting everything else dirty and I cant be doing with having to faff about with three bowls. There was a thread on here about them not long ago, with several people saying the same thing. If anyone wants to buy mine, hardly used, feel free!

Have you looked on Amazon Warehouse? They have got the Kenwood mixer you want for £316.77. It may have a slight scratch, but I just bought a soup maker there and it was just over half price - the only damage was a slightly torn box.

MrsCocoa Fri 01-Apr-16 01:08:29

Found these Good Housekeeping mixer reviews. Sharing in case they helps with decision making? TK Maxx has had some of the Bodum mixers in at cheaper prices - can't quite decide whether to invest....

MrsNutella Fri 01-Apr-16 12:29:26

Can I join in? I would love a kenwood.... But there are so many models out there it is a bit overwhelming. I think I want either a kenwood Titanium chef (probably with some attachments....) or a kenwood multipro mixer doo dah...

Does anyone have any helpful tips or insight to help me decide?
If I get the kenwood chef I would want the food processor attachment. It would just be lovely to have a mixer for making cakes and bread dough etc. My handheld mixer is heavy old, loud a bit rubbish and really on its last legs after about 10 years

peekaboo1 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:57:05

As I mentioned above I have just got the kmc010. It is a stand mixer but comes with a blender and a food processor attachment in the package ie everything you'd possibly need. It was so hard trawling through all the various models to find out which models come with these in the package or whether I'd need to buy them separately as they are £££. Finally found this model which has it all and seems sturdier and more powerful than the MultiOne which also had lots of things I didn't want (and don't have space to store ) like a mincer etc.

Put a price watch on Amazon. I got mine under 300.

araminem Mon 04-Apr-16 20:19:15

Thanks peekaboo. Have just put a price watch at 300 GBP for one (and also 400 EUR to see which happens first)

MrsNutella Mon 04-Apr-16 21:27:05

Ah super! Thank you peek I'll have to see what I can find - I'm not in the uk sadly, but we do have Amazon wink

MrsNutella Mon 04-Apr-16 21:37:23

Hmmmm it doesn't look like the KMC010 includes a food processor here sad

MrsJamin Mon 04-Apr-16 21:46:26

I've got the kenwood Premier Chef KMC510, I love it, and have the food processor and blender attachments. The bowl is huge and the machine is very powerful.

peekaboo1 Mon 04-Apr-16 23:31:39

MrsNutella do check the kenwood website or call them in your region. I kept getting conflicting info and it wasn't clear what was in the package. I spent days weeks researching

MrsCocoa Mon 04-Apr-16 23:32:31

Have just ordered a bargainous ex-display stand mixer from Tesco Outlet on Ebay. Will report back when it arrives.

araminem Tue 05-Apr-16 06:58:23

OK...can you help me out please? What exactly are a 'food processor' and a 'blender'? Is it correct that a food processor refers to the attachment that chops things into small bits e.g. chops onions etc. The blender is what you would use to make soups. I keep seeing names but I am not quite sure what they mean! If this is the case though I already have a food processor and stick blender so would not need them.

MrsJamin Tue 05-Apr-16 07:22:50

Yes a food processor is for chopping and grating stuff in bulk. E. G. Making coleslaw or grating carrots for carrot cake. A blender does what your hand blender does but in a large contained jug. I use it for blending soups once you've cooked the carrots, parsnips etc.

GreenMarkerPen Tue 05-Apr-16 07:25:13

I have a bosch mum.
very happy with it. it copes well with heavy rye dough as well.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 05-Apr-16 22:22:28

I got the Kmix for my 40th last month. It is amazing! Just very easy to use, effective and it looks so stylish. I basically use it for making cakes. I use it probably twice a week. I just used it an hour ago to make some banana cake (Nigel Slater)! I honestly don't know if it is better than a cheapo one (it was £260) because I just had a hand mixer before, but I researched quite thoroughly and decided the KMix offered the style of the KitchenAid but a lot cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now