Talk

Advanced search

If you were making a chocolate victoria sponge...

(17 Posts)
SlipperyJack Sun 20-Mar-16 17:57:28

...what jam would you put in the middle? And plain buttercream or chocolate?

I was thinking cherry jam and plain buttercream, with chocolate buttercream for the top. But I am a very inexperienced baker and have only ever made the regular vic sponge!

MrsBertMacklin Sun 20-Mar-16 17:58:40

Regular, I like the contrast.

321zerobaby Sun 20-Mar-16 17:59:12

Just chocolate butter cream.
Jamand chocolate sponge doesn't taste nice, imo.

Ottosaurus Sun 20-Mar-16 18:01:06

I did black cherry and vanilla last week- worked a treat

FlyingGoose Sun 20-Mar-16 18:02:05

I would do caramel and whipped cream.

ALemonyPea Sun 20-Mar-16 18:02:08

black cherry and vanilla, yum.

CalicoBlue Sun 20-Mar-16 18:06:26

Black cherry and whipped cream in the middle, and whipped cream with grated chocolate on the top. A black forest gateau.

I do think that black cherry and chocolate is lovely, but I would not try it with other jams.

Gatekeeper Sun 20-Mar-16 18:08:16

i either bung my home made blackcurrant jelly (sharp) with plain buttercream and melted choco on the top

or
I make chocolate butter cream and only use this
75g softened butter
3 tb cocoa
175g icing sugar
enough milk to soften

this makes enough for middle and top

This is also very good but a bit richer

Gatekeeper Sun 20-Mar-16 18:10:18

Lidl sour cherry jam would also be good with whipped cream with a dash of kirsch in <drool>

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 20-Mar-16 18:14:14

Coffee butter cream. But it's not a Victoria sponge if it has chocolate in it pedantic

Imnotaslimjim Sun 20-Mar-16 18:53:57

Mmmm sour cherry jam with a vanilla buttercream would be lovely

SlipperyJack Sun 20-Mar-16 20:06:38

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go with black cherry jam and vanilla buttercream. Wish me luck!

Groovee Sun 20-Mar-16 20:35:44

Raspberry butter cream is a good filling for chocolate cake

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 27-Mar-16 16:54:40

I use apricot jam, but just a thin layer, and mocha butter cream (hope your cake was nice op!).

SlipperyJack Tue 29-Mar-16 22:13:56

It was very nice polkadots, thank you! I made a little nest on the top out of bashed-up Flake, put some mini eggs in, and finished with a couple of those fluffy chicks. It wouldn't have qualified for the showstopper challenge on GBBO but the kids (and DH) were happy enough.

originalmavis Tue 29-Mar-16 22:18:06

Raspberry. I live raspberry jam.

BayLeaves Tue 29-Mar-16 22:22:08

I normally do chocolate buttercream with chocolate cake, coffee buttercream with coffee cake, plain buttercream with plain cake etc. I like the simplicity of one good flavour.

I never used to do jam in chocolate or coffee cakes, only in a plain Victoria sponge. But recently I've been using a very thin layer of strawberry jam. It works well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now