Talk

Advanced search

home laid egg sizes

(11 Posts)
PassiveAgressiveQueen Fri 26-Feb-16 11:28:24

Now i know a shop large eggs weighs 2ozs in the shell, but my eggs have rather thick shells and i am finding i have to fiddle everything as it is too dry, could somebody please weigh a cracked egg (no shell) for me please.
This is uk.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 29-Feb-16 15:12:01

A shop-bought Large Egg actually weighs 63 - 73 gms and 2 ozs is only 57 gms, so you see you will really require a Medium Egg which will weigh anything from 53 - 63 gms. See here.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 02-Mar-16 23:14:04

Of course i had forgotten that, but victoria sponges are based on medium eggs aren't they.

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 03-Mar-16 08:00:10

If there are 60 gms of butter or sugar in the recipe to each egg, then the answer is yes.

Boozena Thu 03-Mar-16 08:07:39

To make a Victoria sponge I crack the eggs and weigh them, then match the rest of the ingredients.
E.g two eggs may weigh 125g so I use 125g butter, sugar & flour, as it's based on equal quantities. Makes it a bit easier (as my chooks lay tiny eggs I have to use quite a lot!).
Size/weight of the egg varies so much between breed and as you rightly say, thickness of the shell.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Thu 03-Mar-16 21:28:42

Sorry yes that will work for sponges, but when you have a recipe with less easy proportions knowing the expected weight of egg will allow me to work backwards.

Boozena Fri 04-Mar-16 12:20:20

Ah I see you wanted a more generic rule of thumb. Are they your own chickens? If so which breed?
I have Pekins and theirs weigh around 40g!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Fri 04-Mar-16 16:47:00

I have 3 chickens all different breeds and every egg is a different size, i think the problem is that they are actually too fresh. I have a light sussex, moran and some breed that lays duck egg blue eggs.

Today to make a sponge i cracked them, weighed them and used that weight, my mixture was still very firm, when it should have been runny.
What i need to know is that when a recipe says 1 egg, what weight of egg liquid is it expecting, so i can crack my eggs and proportion it.

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 04-Mar-16 17:22:00

I have always understood, possibly incorrectly, that you weigh the egg in its shell.

VertigoNun Fri 04-Mar-16 17:25:36

I weigh the eggs in shell too.confused

PassiveAgressiveQueen Sat 05-Mar-16 09:03:54

I used to measure in shell, but it isn't working, so was thinking maybe because of their diet they had very thick shells (they are difficult to crack).

But after yesterday experiment i think it is just the freshness of eggs making everything stiffer, as we all know how much stronger new whites are to old ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now