Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Simple gluten free vegan cake???

(9 Posts)
ipanemagirl16 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:52:31

Does anyone have a yummy recipe for one of these please? Catering for both and trying to kill 2 birds with one stone iyswimsmile
Thanks

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 25-Feb-16 22:58:58

I can't link but Google 'crazy cake'. It's a recipe from the Depression and you can make it with gluten-free flour. It's very simple, vegan friendly and lots of variations in flavours and toppingsee to make it interesting.

SanityClause Thu 25-Feb-16 23:00:34

Nigella has a cake which uses citrus fruit, boiled for a couple of hours, then processed. It contains almonds, rather than flour. Her recipe contains 6 eggs, but I use orgran egg replacer, instead. I beat it well with the balloon whisk on my mixer, to make it light and fluffy. I omit the baking powder, as I don't see what it adds, frankly.

Original recipe, here. This one contains clementines, but I have also made it with lemons and large oranges.

ishouldcocoa Thu 25-Feb-16 23:07:55

Google "all recipes.com" and type in 'vegan chocolate cake'. The picture shows a cupcake, and it has 5 star reviews. I made it for some wedding cupcakes a few years back. It was delicious.
Strange set of ingredients, but it does work!

MrsDeathOfRats Thu 25-Feb-16 23:13:24

Beware that crazy cake recipe.
I made it recently as gluten free and even with added xanthem gum it was dense and weird. With regular flour it is ok.

also isn't it called depression due to making 3 depressions in the dry mix before adding liquid??

If you find a 'simple' Gluten, egg and dairy free recipe I would love it. Been trying various ones for 3 years now and only managed a decent carrot cake so far!!

not helpful

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 25-Feb-16 23:36:12

MrsDeath I think we must have different crazy cake recipes as mine doesn't have xanthem gum and the cakes are always light and moist.
The recipe I have also said it was from the Depression because few people could afford eggs or milk. I must admit I've never checked Snopes to see if that origin story is true 😀

annandale Thu 25-Feb-16 23:40:58

Flapjacks made with Pure spread?

ipanemagirl16 Fri 26-Feb-16 07:37:00

Thank you all very much... Will check them all out & decide smile

Nan0second Sun 28-Feb-16 16:59:09

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/food-allergy-mums-really-chocolatey-chocolate-cake/#61SiLCBvSymKPZyt.97

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now