Talk

Advanced search

trying to make viennese fingers

(9 Posts)
PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 19-Jan-16 21:57:52

Ok here was the recipe
6oz marg, 2ozs caster sugar 6oz self raising flour.
i used soft butter instead of margarine.

method, cream butter and sugar really well, i tried but it wouldn't go creamed colour, so i mixed in then flour. it was dry and rock solid. no way i could pipe it.

so i added 2 small eggs and a tablespoon of milk, piped it and it is now cooking.
any idea what i have made?
are they just odd sponge fingers, as there is no sign of the piping shape left as they have risen nicely.

pumpkinbutter Tue 19-Jan-16 22:03:44

With Viennese fingers you need to cream the butter and sugar for a loooong time to get it soft enough to mix in the flour and pipe it. I tend to put mine in the mixer for ages until it goes almost white.

It sounds like you just made sponge fingers, fill with a bit of buttercream and they'll be delicious.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 19-Jan-16 22:04:22

well here they are outside the oven

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 19-Jan-16 22:06:18

cream longer than for a victoria sponge? the butter was just looking greasy

pumpkinbutter Wed 20-Jan-16 18:34:16

Yes until it is pale and fluffy. When you added eggs and milk you turned it into cake batter not biscuit mix. You have cake fingers smile

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 20-Jan-16 23:43:12

The other thing i did wrong my bowl was too big, so the mixture was just spread around the edges. But they were lovely anyway smile

Nocoffeenouppee Sat 05-Mar-16 01:49:15

I used this recipe-worked really well:
www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/viennese_whirls_78348

LizKeen Sat 05-Mar-16 02:12:37

When I trained as a pastry chef, even the tutor couldn't make a mix that was pipe-able.

When I make them at home I start trying to pipe, and always end up spooning them into rounds. They still taste great, they just don't have the lovely piped look.

I will try pumpkins suggestion when I get a new mixer.

fatherpeeweestairmaster Mon 07-Mar-16 14:51:13

is it one of those recipes where you really need to make it in bulk to get enough mix in the mixer for the beating to happen? Like, four times the original quantities? If I try to mix small amounts of butter/sugar, the beater just spreads it around the bowl and nothing happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now