Talk

Advanced search

Pls help, need to make a batman cake

(17 Posts)
Lndnmummy Tue 19-Jan-16 15:55:40

Hello, please help a baking newbe! I jave promised my ds a batman cake and I had no idea a bakery charge £100.00!! I can not afford it so need to try and bake one....

I am thinking to do a rectangle job usindlg a roasting tin (will make two or three to get the hight). I can get butter cream and raspberry jam filling. Coloured icing and just the batman logo on top as no way i can manage making the batman figure. Now i need some help:

Do i put icing over the sponge or do i have wipped cream in between?
Can i make the cake the day before?

Please do help with any tips at all. I have no idea what I am doing.

onitlikeacarbonnet Tue 19-Jan-16 16:11:26

www.pinterest.com/pin/343681015293259001/
This is 4 ideas in 1.
If you're not a baker just do a normal sandwich cake with buttercream and/or jam in the middle.
Roll of yellow fondant over the whole thing then black fondant cut into vague bat symbol.
Buy the fondant ready made. Just needs to be rolled and cut.
Good luck.

Lndnmummy Tue 19-Jan-16 16:27:33

🙏 thank you!! Yes i will do just that. Perfect. Can i buy butter cream or should i make it? do

Lndnmummy Tue 19-Jan-16 16:28:14

Sorry, do i put fondant over the base or cream in between?

PerspicaciaTick Tue 19-Jan-16 16:30:38

If you print out a picture of the symbol on A4 you can use it as a rough stencil.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Jan-16 16:31:16

You can buy Betty Cricket ready made buttercream (and cake mixes). Thin layer if buttercream under the fondant (think of it as polyfilla before you paint (fondant). Can be easier to do in two coats as you will get lots if crumbs in first coat

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Jan-16 16:33:23

If you want to make it easier in yourself you could even use ready made cake/cakes and Batmanify it yourself. You could also maybe get hold of some Batman figurines?

PerspicaciaTick Tue 19-Jan-16 16:34:40

Also, have a look on eBay for batman cake toppers.

BonesyBones Tue 19-Jan-16 16:36:46

You could use a batman shaped cake Tin like this www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Images-Comics-Batman-Silicone/dp/B00M3Z9OE8
You can also buy edible cake toppers like these: www.etsy.com/uk/listing/249701824/lego-batman-birthday-cake-frosting?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_c-paper_and_party_supplies-party_supplies-party_decor&utm_custom1=8ec38829-eb47-4460-87f4-8d32d4ff4dd7&gclid=CKHl_buntsoCFcMSwwodQ1oDXg

TickledOnion Tue 19-Jan-16 16:37:12

I would put buttercream between the layers of cake and then cover the whole cake top and sides with buttercream. The fondant will stick to the buttercream. Don't use whipped cream as it isn't stable enough.

If you only have 1 tin I would do it as follows.
Bake 1 cake. Cool it. Wrap it well in clingfilm. Freeze it.
Repeat for each layer.
You can do the cakes well in advance if you freeze them.
Make or buy buttercream. I can give you a recipe if you need one.
Defrost the cake layers. Cut the hump off them while they are still cold.
Place a layer on a board. Cover in buttercream. Add a layer. Repeat till done. Cover the whole cake in buttercream.
Roll out the fondant on a surface covered with cornflour. Cover the cake.
Roll out the black fondant. Cut out bat shape. Place on top.

Good luck.

Pantsalive Tue 19-Jan-16 16:37:32

uk.pinterest.com/pin/112449321922356192/
uk.pinterest.com/pin/312296555387404228/
uk.pinterest.com/pin/487373990899203429/

Some simple versions here. If you're not keen on fondant icing (I'm not), you could just do yellow buttercream icing and just the bat in fondant.

ijustwannadance Tue 19-Jan-16 16:48:45

They sell basic batman cakes in the supermarkets. £8 in asda. They are plain with the bat logo on the top.
I have also used asda's plain ready iced, oblong cakes (the ones you can get photo/image printed on icing sheet to go on top. You could even get a gotham scene printed) as a base before. I'm shit at baking and they last longer if need to make in advance.
Also, if you picked up a toy figure or batmobile to go on top he can then keep them afterwards.
I've used those little figures from busy books.

Lndnmummy Tue 19-Jan-16 18:19:49

Thank you so much for kind replies, i couldnt respond as i was at work. Thank you so much

Lndnmummy Tue 19-Jan-16 18:20:05

Wikl check all links now z

Lndnmummy Fri 04-Mar-16 19:34:06

Hello all lovely ladies! Just to say I did it!! Huge thanks to all of you and to my lovely friend! Roll on party tmrw. I did it!!

Lndnmummy Fri 04-Mar-16 19:35:09

How did i do? Not bad for first attempt?
desperate for compliments

FishWithABicycle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:41:08

Wow that looks brilliant - well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now