Talk

Advanced search

Carrot cake help please - rapeseed oil

(18 Posts)
winchester1 Thu 14-Jan-16 05:26:26

I'm planning to make a carrot cake but OH has brought rapeseed oil instead of vegetable oil, does that matter? (Also I can't get any veg oil in our village.)

The reciepe is;
450 veg oil
400g plain flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
550g sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
525g carrrots
150g nuts

Also I plan to make two and layer them, for max 15 people, does that sound enough, too much for a coffee and cake bday 'party'.

thanks

queenoftheboys Thu 14-Jan-16 05:46:08

Rapeseed oil IS vegetable oil - vegetable oil is oil derived from any vegetable source (as opposed to oil derived from animal products)

Fuckitfay Thu 14-Jan-16 05:47:00

Rapeseed oil is fine! It will taste nicer I think, rapeseed has a slight nutty taste
Recipe quantities sound ok I think

winchester1 Thu 14-Jan-16 05:47:57

Oh ok. I saw some recipes asked for rapeseed others veg so thought there was a difference. Thanks.

queenoftheboys Thu 14-Jan-16 05:54:45

if a recipe just says veg oil I guess people might use a strong tasting oil like EVOO which would make the cake taste odd. Any mild tasting oil like rapeseed is fine.

And two cakes should be enough for 15. smile

Eastpoint Thu 14-Jan-16 06:47:00

I think that when you take the cakes out of the oven you will probably want to cut them in half and put icing in between, that's a big cake.

If you are planning on making 'traditional' carrot cake icing with cream cheese please can I give you the tip of don't over beat the cream cheese, it goes thin (I had to go & buy some more).

winchester1 Thu 14-Jan-16 06:50:46

I was planing to make that recipe twice (in round cake tins) and then layer and top those two cakes with cream cheese icing.
Would that be an enormous cake then?
If it matters four of the 15 are teens.

Thanks for the tip.

winchester1 Thu 14-Jan-16 06:51:33

I mean as put the two cakes together to make one cake.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Thu 14-Jan-16 07:04:45

Depends what size your cake tins are. That's a lot of mixture so in a 20cm tin they'd be far too high to put on top of each other and you'd be better off splitting each one (or just icing the top of each one. In a 24cm tin or larger then they'd be shallower and you'd be more likely to be able to get away with putting them on top of each other.

winchester1 Thu 14-Jan-16 07:36:30

Thinks its a 20, I'll have a go with one first and see how it looks size wise. Thanks.

winchester1 Sat 16-Jan-16 18:13:12

Anybody about still?

I've cooked them for an hour and a quarter at 160,and let them cool but they aren't cooked at all in the middle. Should I.just put them back in?
The skewer came out clean already so I'm not sure how I tell if they are done. Also the top is already quite cooked so I'm a bit worried it will now burn.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Sat 16-Jan-16 18:19:07

Oh dear. If you have to put them back in the oven then you could cover them with tin foil to stop them burning.

winchester1 Sat 16-Jan-16 18:33:18

Thankyou. I did that. Fingers crossed.

How can I tell when they are cooked? Is a fork better for checking?

Tia

VulcanWoman Sat 16-Jan-16 18:42:22

Next time you make it, it's nice with light muscovado sugar.

winchester1 Sat 16-Jan-16 19:10:05

I've now dropped one on the floor. After hrs grating, chopping and mixing.
I'm never making these again!

Its a pound cake with berries next time. grin

VulcanWoman Sun 17-Jan-16 07:25:19

Ah, that's a shame, did it taste nice at least.

winchester1 Sun 17-Jan-16 17:06:41

Somehow it actually turned out ok and tasted very nice. Luckily three of the blokes didn't come in the end so we had plenty to go-round. Thanks for.the help with it.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 17-Jan-16 17:12:59

Sorry it didn't all go to plan though it sounds like you had a lovely cake out of it

Next time you bake, try a wooden skewer. I've found them much more reliable as they have a rougher surface for the batter to stick to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now