Talk

Advanced search

I am going to bake my DD's 1st Birthday cake - yet I can't bake - help!!

(3 Posts)
HackerFucker22 Mon 11-Jan-16 15:49:20

Prices for a cake are freaking extortionate so I am going to attempt my own.

Have a very basic sponge recipe (It's literally butter, caster sugar, eggs and flour) but my cupcakes taste OK?

Do I just buy a mould and amend my quantities?
Shall I go for a silicone mould?

Any tips appreciated

loveulotslikejellytots Mon 11-Jan-16 15:56:42

I personally don't like silicone moulds, but that's just me! If using a tin take the extra time to line and grease it well. Get an oven thermometer if you can, most ovens aren't accurate.

Do a test run before hand if you can. If you're worried make 2 when you do it for real. That way you have a back up! And allow yourself double the time you think it takes, clock watching guarantees you'll make a silly mistake.

And keep it simple!

WellTidy Mon 11-Jan-16 16:00:10

I am not a good baker AT ALL but I make birthday cakes for the DC. I use Delia's all in one sponge cake recipe, and it always turns out well. I use normal metal sponge tins (quite cheap ones) and ready to roll icing.

For decoration, I save some of the ready to roll icing and make it into a ball. I add a few drops of food colouring and work it in really well (food colouring goes a long way so be sparing). I then roll it out.

I draw on a piece of paper the number of whatever age they're turning, and make this quite big so that it takes up a lot of space on the cake. Then I cut that out. Then I place that on top of the coloured icing and cut around it with a knife. Then I place the icing number on top of the cake. Add a nice big candle, a thick ribbon around the side to compliment the icing colour, and youre done.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now