Talk

Advanced search

freezing cakes

(5 Posts)
LalaDipsey Mon 14-Dec-15 13:37:53

My twins birthday is Sunday and their party is Monday.
I'm making a pirate ship cake for DTS and a bunny cake for DTD for their party.
I can't bake on the Sunday as its their actual birthday so my question is - would it make sense for me to make the basic cakes this week and freeze them and then defrost and shape and decorate on Saturday? I have to then hope they'll be ok from Saturday until Monday. I don't think I'll manage to bake and shape and decorate on Saturday.....!

MrsHathaway Mon 14-Dec-15 13:45:31

Yes, will be absolutely fine - both the freezing and the sitting around.

But take them out on Friday night to defrost slowly for decorating on Saturday or you'll trap any dampness into them.

Wrap them well before freezing. I use tight cling film then foil.

LalaDipsey Mon 14-Dec-15 13:52:52

Fabulous thanks.
One of the recipes has soured cream in the cake mix - is that still ok to freeze once made? And also, for their birthday I'm just a doing them a chocolate cake covered with ganache - which I will make on saturday too - does a ganached cake need to be in the fridge once covered as the topping has cream in or can I keep it out of the fridge?
Thankyou so much

MrsHathaway Mon 14-Dec-15 14:16:51

At this time of year I'd probably leave it out, because my kitchen keeps quite cold, but maybe you could leave it in the garage or something if you aren't sure?

I don't know about soured cream but I would have assumed that once it's cooked out it wouldn't matter.

LalaDipsey Mon 14-Dec-15 20:16:52

Thanks very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now