Talk

Advanced search

Blanched/Flaked Almonds - same thing?

(7 Posts)
Conserve Sun 13-Dec-15 00:23:26

Well its in the oven now so too late if its wrong.
The recipe says Blanched almonds and I put in flaked almonds without thinking. Will it make a difference? Its Biscotti biscuits.

RJnomore1 Sun 13-Dec-15 00:26:04

It'll be fine but they are different. Blanched are whole skinned and flaked are sliced.

Tartyflette Sun 13-Dec-15 00:32:04

The flaked almonds won't be quite as crunchy as whole blanched almonds but I don't think that is much of a problem. unless you like big chunks of almonds, like I do

Conserve Sun 13-Dec-15 00:47:09

I think I will have to make some more then as they are for presents.
Ive got a bag of almonds but they have the skins on. Will I be able to blanch them or should I just wait till tomorrow and go out and get some?

Tartyflette Sun 13-Dec-15 20:42:58

i have made them with whole almonds, unblanched, like this. www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/italian/almond-biscotti.html
Or only roughly chopped, again with skns left on.

eastwest Sun 13-Dec-15 20:46:10

Blanching almonds is easy. You just pour boiling water onto them (in a bowl, obvs!). This loosens the skin and you can then easily remove the skins once the water has cooled a bit. So no, you don't have to go and get some pre-blanched ones.

eastwest Sun 13-Dec-15 20:48:06

to remove skins once you've blanched them you just rub the almonds between your fingers - the skin shucks off v easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now