Talk

Advanced search

Colouring ready to roll icing

(7 Posts)
Etak15 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:32:07

I want to make some pale blue icing I've bought white ready to roll icing 1kg And a little tube of blue gel colouring, what do I do with it? Will it work?

BrianButterfield Tue 08-Dec-15 20:34:47

Roll it out a bit and dot some colouring over it. Fold it and then knead it (I use the dough hook on my mixer). Keep dotting colouring in until you get the shade you want.

Perfectlypurple Tue 08-Dec-15 20:37:56

I always wear plastic gloves when making coloured icing. Saves getting your hands covered.

BrianButterfield Tue 08-Dec-15 20:48:41

Don't be tempted to add any water at all, not even a drop! That way madness lies.

MaliaGrace Tue 08-Dec-15 20:51:36

Re gel colouring, I use a cocktail stick, dab it in to the gel and then on to the icing. You really only need a tiny amount, especially if you're after pale blue.

Etak15 Tue 08-Dec-15 20:56:06

Thanks, if I planning on icing the cake on Friday I thought I will colour the icing the night before, will it keep okay once done - or should I do it then use it straight away?
I'm making a frozen cake I'm not a bad baker but never done decorating before- I thought it would be quite straight forward going to do the bottom tier blue, top tier White have bought blue and white edible snowflakes from ebay to put on and the plastic frozen figures so if I can just manage the colouring bit should be winning?! hmm

BrianButterfield Tue 08-Dec-15 20:58:38

Sounds pretty straightforward to me. Wrap your coloured icing in cling film or put in a food bag, don't refrigerate it. Re knead before you want to use it and it will be fine.

Watch a video on how to cover a cake neatly - it really helps. Put a thick layer of buttercream on first, smooth it as much as you can then put it in the fridge to set. Then put the icing on - it really helps. I also use cornflour instead of icing sugar when rolling out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now