Talk

Advanced search

Bum - I've run out of brown paper and I need to cook my Xmas cake!

(8 Posts)
LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 23-Nov-15 14:38:46

Anything else I can use? We don't have any newspaper (I could probably find a magazine but not sure if glossy paper would be ok?) I've got baking parchment - any point in using that? Or even some old wallpaper?!

perpetuallybewildered Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:02

Baking parchment doubled twice (to give 4 layers) should be fine I think.

Wallpaper may have some kind of coating which would make me cautious about putting it in the oven.

CMOTDibbler Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:17

Unless its a really huge cake, then I only ever double line my cake tins, no paper on the outside, and they are fine. I did 7 christmas cakes yesterday...

Whoami24601 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:19

I used baking parchment (never made a Christmas cake before, didn't realise brown paper was considered so essential!). It came out fine, though we haven't eaten it yet. It's definitely not burnt!

ouryve Mon 23-Nov-15 14:45:16

I've never bothered with brown paper. I just simply double line and sometimes don't even bother with that, as I cook very low and slow, anyhow.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 23-Nov-15 14:54:52

Greaseproof paper next to the cake, then newspaper.

BumWad Mon 23-Nov-15 14:59:36

Do not panic.

I am here.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 23-Nov-15 17:23:19

Thanks everyone. Well it has a silicone liner and 4 layers of greaseproof paper inside and nowt on the outside. We shall see. if it all goes horribly wrong it won't bother me anyway as I hate the stuff smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now