Talk

Advanced search

Bum - I've run out of brown paper and I need to cook my Xmas cake!

(8 Posts)
LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 23-Nov-15 14:38:46

Anything else I can use? We don't have any newspaper (I could probably find a magazine but not sure if glossy paper would be ok?) I've got baking parchment - any point in using that? Or even some old wallpaper?!

perpetuallybewildered Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:02

Baking parchment doubled twice (to give 4 layers) should be fine I think.

Wallpaper may have some kind of coating which would make me cautious about putting it in the oven.

CMOTDibbler Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:17

Unless its a really huge cake, then I only ever double line my cake tins, no paper on the outside, and they are fine. I did 7 christmas cakes yesterday...

Whoami24601 Mon 23-Nov-15 14:42:19

I used baking parchment (never made a Christmas cake before, didn't realise brown paper was considered so essential!). It came out fine, though we haven't eaten it yet. It's definitely not burnt!

ouryve Mon 23-Nov-15 14:45:16

I've never bothered with brown paper. I just simply double line and sometimes don't even bother with that, as I cook very low and slow, anyhow.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 23-Nov-15 14:54:52

Greaseproof paper next to the cake, then newspaper.

BumWad Mon 23-Nov-15 14:59:36

Do not panic.

I am here.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Mon 23-Nov-15 17:23:19

Thanks everyone. Well it has a silicone liner and 4 layers of greaseproof paper inside and nowt on the outside. We shall see. if it all goes horribly wrong it won't bother me anyway as I hate the stuff smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: