Talk

Advanced search

How to scale down Christmas cake recipe

(6 Posts)
blamethecat Sat 21-Nov-15 13:58:23

I am making a 6inch cake and have a recipe for an 8 inch tin. How do I scale it down? One website says half quantities but that seems a big reduction.

TheWoollybacksWife Sat 21-Nov-15 14:02:48

Six inch round tin, or 6 inch square tin?

I've got a recipe book that gives proportions of ingredients for different size tins. 6" round is half of 8" round. Square looks a bit more complicated but I can type it out for you if you need it.

Bombaybunty Sat 21-Nov-15 14:06:18

Now sure if this's just will work,
ink{http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/scaling-up-cake-recipes.html\www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/scaling-up-cake-recipes.htm]]l}

chemenger Sat 21-Nov-15 14:07:39

You need to multiply by six squared (36) divided by eight squared (64), which is about 0.56 or just over half. If you use half the quantity for an eight inch tin you will get a thinner cake ( which will cook quicker as well).
I discovered yesterday that two 20 cm tins are almost exactly the equivalent of one 28 cm tin, which surprised me.

blamethecat Sat 21-Nov-15 14:11:27

Sorry, round tin.

chemenger Sat 21-Nov-15 14:15:46

It doesn't matter if it is round or square, the proportions will work out the same, so long as both tins are the same shape. Both areas are proportional to the square of the measurement. A round eight inch tin is not the same size as a square one though. The square one will be bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now