Talk

Advanced search

Can I put a metal cake tin in the dishwasher?

(15 Posts)
MummySparkle Thu 19-Nov-15 20:27:52

As in the ones with a lid that you store cakes in as opposed to ones that you cook cakes in.

I got it out of the cupboard today to put some crispie cakes in and it felt a bit heavy. Inside was what can only be described as a scene from a horror movie shock it was only recognisable that it once was cake by the distinctly triangular shapes of the green furry stuff that was inside.

I vaguely my DP saying that my DM dropped a cake around when I was in hospital (5 weeks ago shock ) and I hadn't given it any thought since. - mega gross!!

Anyway, since I can't burn it with fire as much as I'd really like to because I need it tomorrow. Can I put it through the dishwasher, or will it go rusty and be just as useless

Anybody tried it?

mineofuselessinformation Thu 19-Nov-15 20:36:14

You could give it a go - you won't have lost anything as you will probably chuck it anyway, or, you could wash it by hand?

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 20:40:42

My cake storage tins are very definitely "tin". I bought 3 more from Lidl today, bargain. There is a big sign on the back saying they cannot go in the dishwasher, well, a picture of a dishwasher with a big cross through it. makes sense, they are tin, as opposed to whatever the baking tins are made of.
Fairy liquid and an overnight soak??

NotSoFancyNancy Thu 19-Nov-15 20:40:57

Mine have survived the dishwasher after leaving cake fester for a similar length of time!

notafanofwinter Thu 19-Nov-15 20:42:48

I put mine in, but they don't dry in there. They have to sit on a tea towel after.
<<wonders why tins don't dry in a machine>>

Wolfcub Thu 19-Nov-15 20:44:17

Yes I do this all the time because I hate washing up. If you are worried a boy rust stick it on the radiator afterwards to.dry thoroughly

MummySparkle Thu 19-Nov-15 21:00:21

Awesome! Have put it through an intensive cycle - will assess and report back once it's out.

It looked like the water from the mound might have already made it rusty - nasty!

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 21:43:36

Nasty. Def report back. This could change my cake tin life.
I know when I take the baking tins out I have to dry them by tea towel.

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 21:44:01

WTF was in there?!

MummySparkle Thu 19-Nov-15 21:55:51

Dontlaugh I didn't look too closely, but when I lifted the tin up icky water dribbled out. At which point I thought 'wtf?' and assumed someone had put the lid on without drying it.

Then I opened it and there was a piece of grease roof lining the tin ( but the icky liquid was under that). Then there were I think 3 vaguely cake slice shaped monstrosities of green and blue furry stuff. It wouldn't have looked out of place in the Great Barrier Reef.

<shudders> I feel like the whole kitchen needs disinfecting sad

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 22:13:51

Fn hell. Would you not bin it and go to Lidl?! I got 3 fabliss tins, stacked inside each other, descending sizes, for €4.99, probably £1 with Stg exchange rate.
Don't waste your precious time!

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 22:22:51

Lidl tins.

MummySparkle Thu 19-Nov-15 22:22:58

I think it might be destined for the bin! I will see what state it's in after the dishwasher has done its thing.

Crispie cakes may have to go to work in assorted small lunch boxes tomorrow. I don't think my 6th formers will mind grin

Dontlaugh Thu 19-Nov-15 22:32:54

Ziplocks should be fine! Or paper lunch bags. Where would you be going with a fancy cake tin grin

MummySparkle Fri 20-Nov-15 00:11:02

I don't have any food bags of any description in the house!

Might have to just chuck them in a bowl with some cling film I've the top

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now