Talk

Advanced search

The best icing to use for decorating biscuits?

(3 Posts)
Daffodil90 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:05:42

I made ginger/cinnamon biscuits for the first time today and they came out alright (although I had to keep adding a bit more flour as the dough was a bit sticky for rolling) but wondered how any of you ice your biscuits?

I want to just do lines across (like tinsel on tree shaped biscuits) but don't fancy paying for the really expensive little tubes from the supermarket. I know you can buy empty tubes quite cheaply for squeezing sauces etc but unsure on a recipe to make myself - will the usual icing sugar and water be too liquidy and crack even if I make it quite thick?

Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks!

MoonlightandMusic Thu 19-Nov-15 22:15:47

Icing sugar and water will work well but I must admit to cheating and using finely cut fondant stuck on with water.

I have also discovered just how easy (if a tad time consuming) the stuff is to make see here so any number of colours/flavours can now be yours to choose from without spending about fifty million pounds on blocks of the stuff from the shop.

A 180g bag of white marshmallows will easily do sufficient icing for dozens of biscuits.

Daffodil90 Sat 21-Nov-15 12:15:50

Brilliant stuff - thanks so much!

I think we'll be having some fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now