Talk

Advanced search

Warning: do not buy Salter stand mixer!

(4 Posts)
Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 20:16:30

DH bought me a Salter stand mixer from Robert Dyas the other day. It was £69 (after the discount if £30). Really, that should have been the red flag, shouldn't it? So I come home all excited about making cakes, bread, you name it.

The first time I use it, I only use it up to the 2nd speed setting (there are 6 speed settings). I beat some egg whites on the 2nd settings. So since it's a stand mixer, I think I have the liberty to walk into the living room for half a minute while it beats up the egg whites. I haven't been away from the mixer for more than 3 minutes maximum and when I return, there is a terrible burning smell and SMOKE is coming out of the bloody thing.

I immediately stop and read the troubleshooting section in the manual, where, obviously it doesn't talk about why my stand mixer is creating smoke. I then guess the problem could be that I have left it to beat for too long although I'm pretty sure I haven't (the manual says longest duration should be 6 minutes), or that the contents in the bowl were not enough.

I then repeat with more contents and less time again, I only get to increase the speed up to the second setting, and there is smoke coming out of it again.

So the moral of the story is; if you ever come across an unheard of brand (bar bathroom and kitchen scales) selling a stand mixer at a too-good-to-be-true price, don't fall for it. I'm now waiting to return the thing and go for a reliable Kitchenaid or something.

ChilliAndBint Tue 10-Nov-15 21:36:26

Why don't you just take it back then??

Salter is a known brand and no doubt made in the same factory as countless other kitchen appliances of varying brands.

I recently bought a Kenwood food processer in the sale, it's a pile of pants.

My old Braun lasted nigh on 3 decades and in real money probably cost the equivalent of well over £250 pounds when I bought it.

The Kenwood stand mixer is good ( my mom swears by it) ,shame their processer is shite.

Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 21:53:36

I am taking it back. Definitely.

Kenwoood is good, too, I hear.

Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 22:01:15

Salter is definitely a popular brand, but not in the stand mixer category. The popular brand name is what made us buy it. I was so shocked at the epic malfunction,which you wouldn't expect from a popular brand like that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: