Talk

Advanced search

Warning: do not buy Salter stand mixer!

(4 Posts)
Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 20:16:30

DH bought me a Salter stand mixer from Robert Dyas the other day. It was £69 (after the discount if £30). Really, that should have been the red flag, shouldn't it? So I come home all excited about making cakes, bread, you name it.

The first time I use it, I only use it up to the 2nd speed setting (there are 6 speed settings). I beat some egg whites on the 2nd settings. So since it's a stand mixer, I think I have the liberty to walk into the living room for half a minute while it beats up the egg whites. I haven't been away from the mixer for more than 3 minutes maximum and when I return, there is a terrible burning smell and SMOKE is coming out of the bloody thing.

I immediately stop and read the troubleshooting section in the manual, where, obviously it doesn't talk about why my stand mixer is creating smoke. I then guess the problem could be that I have left it to beat for too long although I'm pretty sure I haven't (the manual says longest duration should be 6 minutes), or that the contents in the bowl were not enough.

I then repeat with more contents and less time again, I only get to increase the speed up to the second setting, and there is smoke coming out of it again.

So the moral of the story is; if you ever come across an unheard of brand (bar bathroom and kitchen scales) selling a stand mixer at a too-good-to-be-true price, don't fall for it. I'm now waiting to return the thing and go for a reliable Kitchenaid or something.

ChilliAndBint Tue 10-Nov-15 21:36:26

Why don't you just take it back then??

Salter is a known brand and no doubt made in the same factory as countless other kitchen appliances of varying brands.

I recently bought a Kenwood food processer in the sale, it's a pile of pants.

My old Braun lasted nigh on 3 decades and in real money probably cost the equivalent of well over £250 pounds when I bought it.

The Kenwood stand mixer is good ( my mom swears by it) ,shame their processer is shite.

Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 21:53:36

I am taking it back. Definitely.

Kenwoood is good, too, I hear.

Ironfloor Tue 10-Nov-15 22:01:15

Salter is definitely a popular brand, but not in the stand mixer category. The popular brand name is what made us buy it. I was so shocked at the epic malfunction,which you wouldn't expect from a popular brand like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now