Talk

Advanced search

How to make a cheesecake firm?

(12 Posts)
sniffle12 Sat 29-Aug-15 21:06:30

I'm new to making cheesecake and all the recipes I can find online have different ingredients and ratios thereof, including cream cheese, creme fraiche, double cream, sour cream, etc etc.

I've tried a few and the cheese mixture sets very softly - I prefer quite a firm, dense set like those you get in supermarket-bought cheesecakes.

What ingredients/ratios can you use for a firmer set? Or does anybody have a recipe they swear by?

Thanks! smile

treaclesoda Sat 29-Aug-15 21:07:27

Is it a baked cheesecake or a non baked one?

sniffle12 Sat 29-Aug-15 21:19:09

Non-baked smile

penny13610 Sat 29-Aug-15 21:21:59

Gelatin is the way to get a non baked cheesecake to set firm.

Be brave and make a baked one, they are much nicer and firmer.

CharleyDavidson Sat 29-Aug-15 21:22:48

A bit of alcohol or acid can help set your cheesecake a bit firmer, as well as making sure that you use full fat cream cheese (the cheaper stuff can be a bit looser than something like philly too) as well as double cream which you whip quite firm.

I swear by the good food Baileys cheesecake recipe. Or one where I use cream cheese, whipped cream, lemon and lime juice and a bit of sugar. Yummy.

For a really firm cheesecake you are better off trying a baked recipe though.

treaclesoda Sat 29-Aug-15 21:25:22

I was going to say the same as the others but they got there first. smile

Allalonenow Sat 29-Aug-15 21:27:10

You could try adding extra lemon juice, and / or if you are using cream /yoghurt etc, set it in a fine sieve to drain for few hours before you use it (this is why Greek style yoghurt is thick ~ it's been drained)

Baked cheese cake is always thicker and more solid, most supermarket cheese cakes are baked as they have a longer shelf life.

sniffle12 Sat 29-Aug-15 22:59:34

Thanks all! I thought baked cheesecakes had a crust which is why I presumed the Tesco ones (those two-slice packs you find in the dessert cabinet) weren't baked - but I presume they do something fancy and industrial to get them like that (they do have egg in which I don't think is typical of a non-baked?)

I'll follow the suggestions above and if too runny I'll just have to bake one!

TitusAndromedon Sat 29-Aug-15 23:05:18

This is the baked cheesecake recipe I use. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2869/new-york-cheesecake I just made it on Thursday and it is really delicious, if I do say so myself. I found that I had to bake it at the low temperature for quite a lot longer than it suggests in the recipe, but you can't really go wrong if you go by the wobble.

SquadGoals Mon 31-Aug-15 13:42:23

I've never had an issue with runny cheesecakes. I typically use 2x pots double cream whipped with a little icing sugar mixed in with 2x pots Philadelphia.

I then put it in the freezer for 2 hrs and the fridge for an hour or so.

orlakielyimnot Mon 31-Aug-15 13:44:12

Man I'm tired. I misunderstood this ad a question about how to make a cheese cake company. I could really go for a good cheese cake.

sliceofsoup Mon 31-Aug-15 14:18:26

I have never used gelatin in a cheesecake.

I use a packet of Philadelphia (or supermarket equivalent) which is I think 300g, a 250ml (sometimes 284ml) carton of double cream, icing sugar to taste and whatever flavour I am using to taste.

I soften the cream cheese by beating it a bit, then in a seperate bowl I whisk the cream until just before it is firm (because stirring it into the cheese will firm it up more) and then fold the cream into the cheese. Sieve in icing sugar to taste and same with flavours. Fridge to set. Never had it not set yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now