Talk

Advanced search

I want to decorate a cake

(19 Posts)
Pastamancer Wed 12-Aug-15 20:57:05

There is no occasion, I just fancy baking and icing a cake because I have never done it before. Normally if I make a cake then it is a bog standard victoria sandwich but with buttercream as well as jam in the middle.

I want to use icing on the top, not cream cheese, ganache or anything like that. I also would like to pipe some royal icing around the bottom.

I have a choice of cake tins, all 8" round. There are 2 shallow ones that I normally use, 1 medium and 1 deep. The shallow ones have a loose base, the medium is a spring one and the deep is just a solid, 1 piece tin.

As I am just doing this to learn a skill I'm not too worried about what it looks like.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I'm not sure what type of cake to make, do I make madeira or normal sponge? Do I do 2 cakes and stack or 1 and cut? If I cut then any suggestions on how best to do it? What recipe would you recommend for the size tins I have and how much icing do I need?

lougle Wed 12-Aug-15 21:18:52

OK...

Crack 5 eggs into a bowl and weigh them. Use that weight of stork/butter and caster sugar and cream it together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well. Add the same weight of sifted flour and 1tsp of baking powder. Mix until the mixture is smooth only.

Split it between the two tins and bake for 35-40 minutes at 160c fan/180 conventional.

Butter cream between cakes.

You'll need about 800g fondant icing to cover it. Roll it to about 0.5cm thick. Use cornflour lightly to stop it sticking to the worktop. Don't over flour it or it will stiffen.

Royal icing: here

Slacken it with a little water (2-3 mls at a time) until a line drawn through it with a spoon disappears after 25-30 seconds. Use a no. 4 nozzle for a thick line or no. 2 for writing/thin line.

chumbler Thu 13-Aug-15 09:38:50

you can practise your fondant icing shapes with play dough wink

Jux Thu 13-Aug-15 22:42:26

I have one good tip for cakes: never open the oven door until you can smell the cake.

MisForMumNotMaid Thu 13-Aug-15 22:45:42

After you've baked your cakes if you cool properly then cover and chill in the fridge till properly chilled, they'll be a slightly firmer base to cover.

Pastamancer Fri 14-Aug-15 09:15:04

Thanks for all the tips. I've been out and bought everything now so fingers crossed the DC play ball and let me get on with it today.

Jux Fri 14-Aug-15 12:01:40

Good luck, Pastamancer. Post pics!

Pastamancer Fri 14-Aug-15 13:10:02

Easy bit done, just need to pluck up the courage to start making icing grin

Pastamancer Fri 14-Aug-15 16:09:51

There is a major flaw in my plan, I am completely incapable of rolling. I have never been able to roll pastry and now the same is happening with the icing. It seems to be rolling ok but then all of a sudden it sticks to the worktop and breaks up. I have put cornflour down but I just can't do it. I've had to start again 4 times now and can't face another try. I've already put buttercream over the cake ready so can't even abandon the icing as I can't just leave it as it is sad

todayiamfat Fri 14-Aug-15 16:12:58

Roll it between 2 sheets of cling film

PurpleDaisies Fri 14-Aug-15 16:22:53

What's your rolling pin made of? My wooden one sticks to icing but I have a massive white smooth plastic one doesn't stick. Is it hot in your kitchen? That makes fondant a nightmare to work with. Could you bs trying to roll it too thin?

Wrap up your fondant in clingfish, have a cuppa and then try again. It is easier when the icing has had a bit of a rest. And don't worry it'lol come with practice.

Jux Fri 14-Aug-15 19:41:34

They look lovely, Pastamancer. I'll eat them, butter icing, royal icing, no icing, melted icing...........

Pastamancer Sat 15-Aug-15 17:21:38

DH came home and rescued me from the fondant blush

I have just made and piped the royal icing, ended up making far too much and nobody could describe the cake as pretty but I've done it

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 15-Aug-15 21:37:09

Looks fun. I love the quirky colours.

Its very level/ a very even bake and your icing is very flat so thats a great effort.

Most importantly did you enjoy it?

Jux Sat 15-Aug-15 21:46:24

That's an unforgettable cake! (I think it's pretty.) bet it tastes lovely too.

How much practise did you do for the piping? I have never done any piping - except for mash on shepherd's pie, and I found that hard enough!

I really admire your determination. Did you enjoy doing it, that's the most imortant thing, isn't it?

Well done cake

Pastamancer Sat 15-Aug-15 22:09:37

That was my first ever attempt at piping, just straight on the cake hence the large amount grin

Haven't started eating it yet, am leaving it overnight for the royal icing to set properly.

PurpleDaisies Sun 16-Aug-15 00:23:18

You've done a really nice job there. Enjoy your cake tomorrow-you've definitely earned it.

DinoSnores Sun 16-Aug-15 18:31:14

How did it go, Pasta?

I think it looks great!

grin

cowmop Sun 16-Aug-15 20:26:15

I think you've done a fab job. I went on a course at night school for cake decorating, but mostly it comes down to practice I think. I was taught to roll small bits and decorations out on cornflour but to always use sieved icing to roll whole cake coverings out on. Not sure why to be honest. The other good thing I've been told is to always lift the fondant up the sides of the cake as you smooth it down once you've placed it over. I'm not sure if that makes sense? But it made a huge difference to the finish on mine, no more cracking along the top edge. The best money I've spent cake decorating wise is £5 on a smoother/polisher, actually I use 2, to give a really smooth polished finish.

I only make for family, but really enjoy it now I've started to get the knack a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now